Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,826   Online: 782

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Started the build of a new camera...

Hi,

I've started on the build of my camera - a 9x12 plate camera. I recently bought one of these off of that auction site, and it turns out the bellows were shot; not entirely surprising really.

However, it gave me the impetus to use that camera as a template for a new one. This will allow me to use my existing 9x12 plate holders and ground glass screen.

In the image below, I've cut out the comb joints with my bandsaw (I've since made a comb jointing jig to use with the dado cutter). The other pieces form part of the back (still need to make the rear sliders that accept the plate holders). That thick black line is the velvet light trap, sitting in a 1mm deep recess - made using the little milling machine I now have!

Nothing is glued together here - just pushed together, or resting on each other.

Next step is to make the lower back piece and the runners - that should complete the panels that take the holders...
    Creative Image Maker e-magazine is back! Find out more at http://creativeimagemaker.blogspot.com

Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    cool!
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Step #2:

Next step on building the 9x12 camera... making the bottom of the rear standard on to which the plate holders will contact.

As you can see, I used the little milling machine to make this part as it's reasonably 'complex' and I needed to accurately cut depths of 1mm and 1.5mm. This is the second piece that has a recess for a velvet light trap.

The complete rear standard, with the runners for the plate holders, is currently clamped up after being glued. So the next stage, once the glue has fully hardened, will be to sand it all down and move on to the front standard.

Cheers,
    David.
    Creative Image Maker e-magazine is back! Find out more at http://creativeimagemaker.blogspot.com

Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Next stage: gluing the rear standard

Now that the rear standard has been glued and sanded, I've been able to take a couple of snaps of it.

Lower rear panel (the piece shown on the mill earlier), with velvet light trap.

Upper rear panel showing the shaped end to accept the top of the plate holder, and top velvet light trap that corresponds to the velvet fitted in the plate holder.

Completed rear standard.

Rear standard with plate holder fitted.

Inside view of rear standard with plate holder fitted (darkslide removed to show exposed plate).

Thank you.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Nice....really nice!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Will watch with interest.
    Pat
    What grain............................................. ...............
    Oh sorry, I forgot you don't shoot Large Format
    Large format Pat.

http://www.largeformatpat.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Very nicely done.

Where did you get that cute little mill?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm glad I get to see some pics. Though I would have liked some pics of Fiona criticising you after painting the hallway. Guess I'll take what I can get. ;p

Keep it coming.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Very nicely done.

Where did you get that cute little mill?
    I wanted a small mill, mainly because I just don't have either the funds or the space for a 'grown-up' one! I settled on a Proxxon MF70, searched around on the Internet and found the cheapest place was to buy via Amazon (UK).

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    I'm glad I get to see some pics. Though I would have liked some pics of Fiona criticising you after painting the hallway. Guess I'll take what I can get. ;p

Keep it coming.
    Funnily enough Chris, Fiona told me the other day that a small amount of the paint in the hallway had reacted with whatever was underneath, and had started to 'bubble' up... therefore "it's about time it got spruced up...".

My heart sank.

Cheers.

Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, it's been a good day for camera building today! I decided to build a sliding box camera to start with, and as I'd already built the rear standard, I needed to build the inner box to fit it to.

The inner box is all comb jointed, the next step was to glue it to the rear standard...

Thank you.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin