Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,541   Posts: 1,572,772   Online: 883

Shooter
    35mm

What type of wood to use for 1880 dry plate camera extension rail?

Hello all - I have finally decided to fabricate an extension rail to replace the shabbily constructed mongrel rail on this circa 1880 dry plate beauty. Question: is this most likely cherry wood or something else such as walnut or mahogany? In the first picture you can see the original front rail that I am trying to match. I am including the shots of the body just for reference.

Thanks in advance,
    Jon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0445.JPG   DSCF0442.JPG   DSCF0444.JPG  
    Last edited by jon koss; 04-18-2010 at 08:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks like Mahogany to me.

Shooter
    35mm

wood

Looks like mahogany to me too. I will go a step further, and say, probably Cuban mahogany, which was still being used when this camera was built. It looks smooth grained and not ribbon grained, like honduran can be... I may have some that will match closely in my wood stash... (instrument maker) Let me know if you can't locate some in your area. Best, Bill
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I second the Cuban Mahogany. There is a guy in Ithaca NY who sells Cuban Mahogany from a plantation in Samoa or some other Pacific island. Cherry is also a good choice. I feel walnut is too heavy, dense, and difficult to work for camera parts.

John

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the notes, guys. Bill, just double checking - you are speaking of the lower rail to which the hinge is fastened, correct?

Best,
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Harrison View Post
    Looks like mahogany to me too. I will go a step further, and say, probably Cuban mahogany, which was still being used when this camera was built. It looks smooth grained and not ribbon grained, like honduran can be... I may have some that will match closely in my wood stash... (instrument maker) Let me know if you can't locate some in your area. Best, Bill

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin