Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,231   Posts: 1,532,889   Online: 998

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Leica Principles , Changed ?

I read Leica Book from www.imx.nl website and I got few ideas , I am not sure I got it right .

I will try to explain with my poor english.

First , you focused the camera and took a picture. The front and back of the focused image have bokeh and they have contains different aberration ratios and this is Leica designed feature.

Second , You must decide which aberration to correct first , second etc. This gives the lenses character.

Third , MTF tests measure the resolved lines count. I looked to modern Leica lenses and Leitz lenses comparison , MTF Charts have dark grey whites at the modern lenses , for old lenses white is white.

Because you can correct the aberration with thinking first resolution or thinking first contrast

New lenses are sharper but sees less texture ,less light shadow games and no natural light. New lenses have such a cleaned , deleted , steryl sharp pictures.

Colors are studio colors like acrylic colors of Warhol. Not like antique pigments of church painting. Cheaper they are , got the eye of a young photographer.

Do you agree ? Do you have something to add ?

Best ,

Mustafa Umut Sarac

Istanbul

Shooter
    127 Format
    Internal reflections and modern coatings can alter the contrast of a lens. This can be the cause of what you call "grey whites" compared to old lenses and "white whites". It also effects the whole color range, meaning acrylic colors versus antique pigments.

Today's lenses can be made essentially perfect, with sharper pictures and crisper colors. And this is what make old lenses popular, because of their character.

Since film is infinitely variable, unlike digital with its defined 'steps', when combined with older lenses we get unique images that digital can not create.

Therefore, old lenses which were thought of as imperfect in their day, are now valuable because of their flaws.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I think , there is a need of deeper understanding and story is quite different.

May be grey black mtf charts are created with the mind of flash photography. And may be ccds are more sensitive to bright highlights and they wanted to tame the lens.

If you look at above mentioned website and testing the new and old 24 mm lenses , You can find the lack of quality of gathering natural light which makes Leica a winner.

I want to understand , is it true to understand correcting a lens piece is done with the selection of resolution or selection of contrast first ?

If american , british and german media hadnt been to start to test the lenses with mtf diagrams , may be leica would be the old leica again.

If you look to the older noctilux tests - 20 years ago - , there was a deep drop of mtf graph at the middle of the test , leica deep U letter.

Now , imx.nl site publishes the results and the graphs are highly horizontal.

I am not saying this is not easy to do but may be it is not the way of a lens should be.

Result : MTF tests cant explain the textureness , surface details , 3D Effect , Color Quality , Bokeh Quality , but they explain only the sharpness of outer lines of a portrait.

So new lenses take big flat single tone , single color portraits.

By the way , I cant find any fault even at 1920s Leicas.

Julia Margaret Cameron took may be 130 years ago and they are matchless.

I will keep try to explain this knowledge everywhere.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not sure about your explanation of MTF charts. From reading of what you've written here I got impression that you think they describe exposure graph from shadows to highlights. In fact they describe resolution power across image circle of the lens (starting from left-middle ending in corner-right). The higher and flatter the values are, the higher contrast over entire image field is reached.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin