Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,706   Posts: 1,548,498   Online: 976

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

6x7 Pinhole hybrid project

So.. the other day I'm sifting through boxes of old camera gear at a yard sale and something told me to dig deep in this one box and sure enough.. what did I find? A film back for a Mamiya press camera. DYNAMITE! This is awesome. What I deal I got too, $10 bought this and a box of goodies. A simple "do you know what this does?" made it completely worthless to the seller because he could not answer. Was that a lie? I think not!

So.. I'm going to make a 6x7 pinhole camera from this. I've been wanting to save a few $'s and make it easier to process film while traveling so it just makes sense to bump down from 4x5 Zero Image when I can.

So, Zernicke sells pinholes and zoneplates you can put in a Copal 0 shutter.. I will buy the pinhole because of a problem with swirls due to shoddy workmanship.

So the body? What will I make the body out of? And how will I attach it to this film back? Here's some photos. Anyone with some good idea? The black bit around the frame is recessed. I was thinking of pouring epoxy into that uhh... mote (for lack of better word) and then plywood (or sheet metal) directly into the epoxy, hoping that it would adhere permanently and be very sturdy. Would Gorilla Glue do? It's probably not lightproof.

I'm looking for the most elegant and simple solution. Not really into the idea of buying a Mamiya Press camera so I can rip off the back part of the camera that the film back clamps to. hehe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG00057-20100427-1913.jpg   IMG00056-20100427-1913.jpg   IMG00053-20100427-1911.jpg  
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Okay, already some progress. So I figured out how to remove the whole top plate mechanism. It is now gone! And a nice FLAT surface has appeared in it's place! This is going to be fun. I'm going to drill the holes bigger that held that mating plate (what mates to the press camera) in place and then I can screw directly into the box I make! Or glue it. Or.. fill the holes up (easy enough to do) and put velcro on the flat surface and have interchangeable bodies of differing focal points...

I'll report back with progress in case anyone is curious. Meanwhile, here's one photo to show the plate mechanism gone. It may look rough in the picture but that's just markings from tooling. Running my finger down the surface it is all smooth.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG00059-20100427-2139.jpg  
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I robbed a bellows from a Polaroid and made a zoom 4x5 pinhole. Nice mahogany body, and a slider marked with different focal lengths. Its range is 80mm out to 190mm. Having a roll film back would really knock one outta the park. Have fun with the new toys and show us the results.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ralnphot View Post
    I robbed a bellows from a Polaroid and made a zoom 4x5 pinhole. Nice mahogany body, and a slider marked with different focal lengths. Its range is 80mm out to 190mm. Having a roll film back would really knock one outta the park. Have fun with the new toys and show us the results.
    Bellows occured to me but that may be for me more difficult than to make a series of differing focal length boxes, as I would have to fabricate some mating mechanism. I am thinking right now of making a mating surface with a lip on it like a shallow box lid, and get that secure to the film back and have thickness on the bottom of it to allow a tripod nut. Then the differing length boxes would slide into the box lid and mate inside with velcro. Each differing focal length should have an ideal pinhole size anyway so different boxes entirely seems like the thing to do, for me, for this specific project.

But for sure I will report back with progress

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

pinholes

These are the ones my daughter and I use. The one on the right is my hybrid Polaroid bellows on a box, 4x5 w/ 80-180mm focal length. The one on the left is one my daughter made, its a 4x5 w/75mm focal length.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pinholes.jpg  
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ralnphot View Post
    These are the ones my daughter and I use. The one on the right is my hybrid Polaroid bellows on a box, 4x5 w/ 80-180mm focal length. The one on the left is one my daughter made, its a 4x5 w/75mm focal length.
    That Polaroid hybrid is really cool looking!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you. The range finder is just for looks(intended).
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin