Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,682   Posts: 1,482,216   Online: 1042

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

setting up a workshop to make cameras

what types and specifications of woodworking and metalworking tools would i need to make cameras? i'm thinking anything from pinhole cameras all the way up to 8x10 field cameras, maybe even 7x17 and 16x20!

does anyone recommend a particular forum that discusses woodworking and metalworking in general?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    There are forums if you search for them.
    If there are further education courses in your locality a metalwork and a woodworking course might be a better place to start.
    I find using hand tools more satisfying than doing everything with machine tools.
    This assumes you want to build cameras for your own pleasure rather than as a commercial venture.
    Turning a hobby into a business sometimes takes all the fun out of it...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    My only camera making venture was my 8 x 20. It took me the better part of about 8 months from start of design to end of construction. I used primarily power tools, but those that you would normally have in your home workshop (drills, table saw, good router and router table, band saw (don't really need this). I bought a fairly inexpensive planer so I could buy my wood rough sawn (cheaper) and thickness plane it myself. However, you can for more money buy your wood already planed to the thickness you need. I also found that a Dremel tool came in very handy at times. All of the metal used in the camera that needed to be cut with anything other than a hack saw was brass and aluminum, and you can get a special table saw blade that works great for that (it also works on plastics).

One bit of advice - making film holders requires it's own special attention to light leaks. I initially made two, but it was a continual struggle for me with light leak problems. I eventually ended up buying a couple of film holders (real expensive by the way).

Now - all that being said, Jim Fitzgerald made his 8 x 20 at the same time as me, and he did it all in his appartment with nothing more than hand tools. I still don't know how he did it. He eventually also made an 11 x 14 camera the same way. You might want to contact him to get his advice.

The skills that you require for a venture like this are not really special. However, if you don't have prior woodworking experience, you will probably face a long difficult task.
    Dan's website: www.dandozer.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dan's got it covered.
    I think the most useful tools will be the table saw and router w/table. The router is really versatile.
    I think vickers dc also uses a milling machine but IMO it's a bit overkill.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just finished a little 4x5. I found the table saw was mandatory for me. But I did use a milling machine quite a bit. However I suppose a router table could have done the same things, but perhaps a little more setup time. I also found a bench sander very helpful.
    Good luck with your venture.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The router table will be a valuable friend. I would also recommend getting an 'Incra Jig' Fence, or one of the similar ones from Rockler woodworking. They provide REALLY good joint making capabilities that will last. Like everything, bleed once on this stuff. You also need to be creative and comfortable making your own jigs to help fabricate certain camera parts more efficiently. I found that well over half my time was spent making and setting up jigs and measuring ready to make the cuts.

Other useful tools for camera making is a good bandsaw. Many of the parts used for cameras are strips of wood that you build in layers and the bandsaw is invaluable for that and saves real estate in your workshop.
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

there are some classes at the local community college, maybe i'll register for a couple next semester. it might be difficult because of all the budget cuts and increased demand, but i don't mind doing this at home. this is just for fun.

this is what my list looks like:

router and router table
    table saw
    band saw
    drill
    planer (optional)
    Dremel tool (optional)
    bench sander (optional)
    "incra jig" fence (optional)
    milling machine (optional?)

do i need a milling machine for metal parts? can you get most of the metal parts pre-made?

re: hand tools vs. power tools, i'm guessing power tools make it easier to do a good job, but is it that hard to do quality work with hand tools?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    While I did use the milling machine a bit on the brass stuff, I mostly used it on the wood. Gears and knobs are easily available. Its the little weird things your most likely going to have to make, like the little do-dad that holds the lens boards on. You could make the little slots with a dremel, but a milling machine make the job rather easy.

Regarding power vs hand, consider this. You go out to the wood store and come home with this new 2x6 hunk of cherry wood. Now what you want is a little strip say, a quarter inch by say half an inch. Table saw takes a couple of minutes, hand tools a couple of hours? And if I was doing it, it would be all screwed up and crooked.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do quite a bit of woodworking, and when I made my camera & printing frame I found the following useful:

Table saw & disc sander (I have a Shopsmith and it's ideal).

Milling machine (Proxxon MF70), and despite John's comment above about it being overkill, I have to say that I use mine all the time. It was extremely useful when making the rear standard to accept 'standard' 9x12 slide-in plate holders, and for putting in recesses for velvet light traps, and for reducing the thickness of the lens board so that I could tighten the lens locking nut, and for milling slots, and putting flats on pan-head screws so they wouldn't turn in the milled slots, and for doing all the mortice & tenon joints that were 2mm thick with 2mm shoulders on a 6mm thick piece of wood, and for...).

A router and dovetail / comb-jointing jig would be good (although I made a jig to fit on the table saw fitted with a dado-cutter).

Then there's the daft little things like a metal ruler, clamps of varying sizes, dust masks, etc...

I'm very lucky that I too have a planer / thicknesser and wouldn't be without it; the ability to size timber to your requirements shouldn't be understated.

However, there's no reason why you can't do it all by hand tools (as evidenced above), and there would be huge satisfaction from doing it that way, but for me the ease of use and speed of machinery (and the available spare time I have) means that those tools listed above work for me.

Cheers,
    David.
    Creative Image Maker e-magazine is back! Find out more at http://creativeimagemaker.blogspot.com

Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can use a router & table to plane smallish strips 1-1 1/2" using a straight bit & shims. Rockler & others peddle them.
    Dremel also has some nice accessories for their tool, Drill press, router, circle cutting guide & more.

DIY camera guy here may have much of the hardware available for you.
    I think that's the most difficult to find stuff. He's also got bellows kits & patterns and will custom design bellows.
    Harbor Freight tools I think, has a combination milling machine/drill press that might be nice rather than two separate machines.
    Forstner bits would allow you to make recesses for mounting flanges or drilling holes for lens boards.
    IMO if you can farm out/buy metal bits it's going to go much faster than making your own. Metal working & wood working are similar but do you really want to cut, bend, polish or plate?
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin