Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,497   Posts: 1,543,055   Online: 1040

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks for the input guys.
    The budget for this camera isn't very great. Also, being that it is my first camera I didn't want to spend more on an expensive wood. I've actually spent less than $10 for the wood, and about $20 for the brass so far. I mostly wanted to work out everything first on a cheaper model before I spend more on it.
    I've done a lot of work with oak and I think it will suit my purposes for right now. Sure an exotic would be nice but the money and the lack of proper tools make that an impossibility.
    Steve, I've closely read up on most of Rayment Kirby's website. It is very useful.
    I've linked to some photos of the front standard hardware that I made today. It's pretty rough right now, I'm just getting an idea for how things go together.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Very nice. Just curious: where did you get the knobs? I was thinking about making some on a lathe at work, but the tooling we have is really limited. I'd hate to use plastic knobs!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Mark, the knobs there are simply knurled nuts that I picked up at a hardware store. They are threaded to fit certain screws (for example, I'm using 10-32 for the horizontal screws and knobs, and 6-32 for the vertical ones visible.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That front standard metalwork looks good.

Like Rick, I prefer to use mahogany for things like this. However, I have used some oak which was nice. I get most of my wood from old furniture so it has had plenty of time to ddry out and stabilise.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Love the brass, what are you going to do for bellows? Are you making your own or buying a ready made? I robbed a bellows from a Polaroid for my first try, and then bought a cheap one from KEH for the second. I didn't use any brass on either, though I should on the newer one. Maybe I'll make another.

Do you have a back figured out yet? I'm interested in seeing how you make yours, I use heavy rubber bands to hold the film-holders in place. I suppose I'm just being lazy for that.

Keep on showing pictures of your progress, you are doing fine so far.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    As I usually state on these threads, I have some CAD drawings which may be of help if anyone is interested.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    You can get pretty nice wood from old furniture like someone said above, which you can get from free from craiglist. This of course assumes you have some way to bring it to size (bandsaw/planer/etc). I think people here are saying that oak may work in a pinch, hey, I've seen a camera made of pine..., but making a camera is pretty hard work, and if you were going to do it, you might as well do it with wood that's worth the effort. I second the mahogany suggestion. It's a beautiful wood and it's very easy to work with (not santos mahogany though, that is just as beautiful but hard as a rock).
    Sorin

__________________________________________________ __________________________________
    Frugal Sorin Blog - Last article : light proof material (for darkroom, changing bag, focusing cloth,etc)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have found that the most useful donor furniture for camera wood is old chests of drawers. Those made with proper wood (not ply) for the drawer fronts, backs and sides are the best as this wood has already been planed to a uniform thickness (usually between 1/4" and 3/8") and has been held rigidly square for many years so it has been able to dry out properly whilst not having the opportunity to warp.

The 6x12 camera in my link below was made from oak from such a chest of drawers. I still have some left and I also have some mahogany from some other drawers which I am making plans to use at the moment.

Steve.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hey guys. Another update here. I got out today and made the rear standard and hardware today. I still have to make the actual back, but here's where I am now.
    I found an older board of hard maple, so I will be using that for the rest of the camera parts.
    I have seen various free furniture on craigslist. But I do not have any way at all to bring it to a usable dimentional lumber.

http://tomasyoung.blogspot.com/

I am planning on making my own bellows. I'm thinking of a thin goat leather on the outside, paper stiffeners, and a black out cloth. I have yet to buy any of the materials so I don't yet know exactly how it will go together.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by samuraiwarrior2 View Post
    I have seen various free furniture on craigslist. But I do not have any way at all to bring it to a usable dimentional lumber.
    Take a saw and hammer with you and only bring back what you need!

Looks like some good progress has been made.

Steve.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin