Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,685   Posts: 1,548,576   Online: 1216

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think what hes saying Steve is, that he doesn't have a jointer or planer to mill down the thickness. My suggestion is to visit a local small cabinet shop and buy dimensioned material from them. Most are happy to oblige, and do not charge much for the convenience. Some may even let you root through the scrap bins for what you need.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You are right. I just re-read what he actually said rather than what I thought he said!

My previous comment about chests of drawers still applies though with regard to the drawer sides.

Boatbuilders and guitar and violin builders can also be a good source.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Absolutly, good quality drawer sides(not ply or pressboard)are nearly perfect as-is. My hesitance with using old furniture, is I prefer fixing it and giving it new (extended) life to those in need. I abhor the modern trash being foisted onto the consumers, who have no inkling what quality is, and believe in disposable goods. I will only use discarded items if there is no hope for repair.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hey guys, just thought I'd throw these last few photos at you. The camera is done, you can read all about it on my blog: http://tomasyoung.blogspot.com/.

It is so far from being perfect, or even reasonably like a beater 4x5 you could pick up for a few hundred dollars. But it will work for me and I'm happy with it. I know exactly what I'd do next time to make it 100x better and fully functional.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by samuraiwarrior2 View Post
    It is so far from being perfect, or even reasonably like a beater 4x5 you could pick up for a few hundred dollars. But it will work for me and I'm happy with it. I know exactly what I'd do next time to make it 100x better and fully functional.
    It looks good to me. As long as it holds the lens the right distance from the film and keeps out any light not coming through the lens then it's going to take pictures.

I was making plans for my second camera even before I finished my first. That's a perfectly normal part of learning and is to be encouraged.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin