Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,808   Online: 684

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

DIY Focusing Shade - Prototype

My newest prototype for a folding hood. Sometimes (say, in some neighborhoods) it doesn't feel wise to stick my head under a black cloth... This should greatly assist with composition, as it blocks most of the reflected light on the GG surface. It also extends enough that one should be able to easily focus his/her eyes on the GG while the eyes are right at the opening.

The hood collapses almost flat, that one can use a short loupe on the ground glass for critical focusing and of course for ease of transport.

The hood still needs some sort of device to hold it flat, probably a flexible strap with a velcro at the end. The hood mounts to the camera with 4 semi-transparent velcro dots. They are very easy to install, they are not very obtrusive and should it be necessary or desired, they can be removed and the the residue cleaned with glue remover.

Thoughts?
    Sorin

__________________________________________________ __________________________________
    Frugal Sorin Blog - Last article : light proof material (for darkroom, changing bag, focusing cloth,etc)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I like it, Sorin. Maybe a rectangular end (not a cone), so that if you are using a loupe, it doesn't interfere as much? Would be good practice for folding a set of bellows.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like the idea too. Being able to focus on the corner sections looks like it might be a problem but I might be wrong about that. That it folds so flat is very good. There are neighborhoods like that around here that I feel pretty much the same way about - love to take photos there but need to be aware of who is around me. This would make that easier.
    Tim Flynn

Shooter
    35mm
    The tapered shape greately reduces the reflected light and it allows the shade to collapse flat. you can use a loupe in corners, but it has to be a real focusing lupe (longer), as the bellows has to be extended a bit to deform enough. And yes, it a great practice for making/folding a bellows, the bellows section of the kit is identical with a diy bellows kit.
    Sorin

__________________________________________________ __________________________________
    Frugal Sorin Blog - Last article : light proof material (for darkroom, changing bag, focusing cloth,etc)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    What if you used less of a taper and curved the end so it would be more form-fitting, similar to a Graflex SLR?
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    35mm
    Darinwc, I did consider that, but it has a few issues. First, it raises the cost, as creating a curved anything is much more expensive. Second, it significantly increasing the folded size. Third, people with glasses might find it even less comfortable. I'm curious if others would favor a curved, face fitting approach.
    Sorin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sv@diycamerakit.com View Post
    Darinwc, I did consider that, but it has a few issues. First, it raises the cost, as creating a curved anything is much more expensive. Second, it significantly increasing the folded size. Third, people with glasses might find it even less comfortable. I'm curious if others would favor a curved, face fitting approach.
    I like the idea of it being flat so it is as compact as possible. One thing I'd be tempted to try: make the end narrow and square. The user could then adapt their existing loupe so that you could either look at the screen with one eye with no loupe or insert their loupe into the hole for fine focus. If the bellows is flexible enough, you should be able to move the loupe around enough for critical focus into the corners. I think that Ebony has something like what I am trying to describe.
    Last edited by Mark Fisher; 05-04-2010 at 09:34 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: really poorly worded!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sorin, could you make the end curved but soft, so that it would still compress flat? Like make it from your bellows material, not from the plastic or whatever you made this one with?

I still haven't bought magnifying glasses, but I wonder if this would work well with magnifying glasses rather than a loupe?

Shooter
    35mm
    Apparently I lied a few posts up. I just tried to use a loupe in the corner and it's not really possible, unless the loupe is 3" long. The taper is too aggressive for this and even though the bellows is very flexible, it doesn't work. I'm now tempted to try a "bag bellows" hood. That should be able to both fold flat and allow focusing with a loupe in corners. It would not look that cool though

Mark, I don't know about other people but one of the things I like about MF/LF is the ability to see the GG with both eyes. Maybe the front frame can be made to take all sorts of adapters, like a magnifier, face shaped adapter, one eye adapter, etc.
    Sorin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sv@diycamerakit.com View Post

Mark, I don't know about other people but one of the things I like about MF/LF is the ability to see the GG with both eyes. Maybe the front frame can be made to take all sorts of adapters, like a magnifier, face shaped adapter, one eye adapter, etc.
    I can understand that, but I just want to see the whole image...I figure it is 2D on the GG anyway so one eye is plenty..(:. I've shot a 4x5 off and on for quite a while and I've learned to hate darkcloths. Hot in the summer and cause condensation on the GG in the winter.
    On a separate note, I just purchased a Galvin 2x3 view camera very cheap. I'll probably end up reselling it if I can't find a good alternative to a darkcloth for that camera. The Ebony one looks interesting. I don't think it would be hard to adapt your design to use a magnifier on it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin