Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,871   Posts: 1,583,409   Online: 1080

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Fill the gaps with white oil-based model paint (such as Testor's enamel), and wipe off the excess?......
    I've used the oil-based, and also used water-based model paint. I prefer the water-based, because it is easier to remove the excess after it dries.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I switched to water based for actual models a long time ago. It is great stuff. In this case, however, I would use the oil-based. The problem is that the water based does not stick to metal nearly as well, and is not as durable.

I'd wipe when the paint is still wet, and touch up the wipe marks once it is dry. The amount of cleanup is significantly reduced by carefully applying the paint with a small brush instead of just throwing paint over the whole area and then wiping off a lot of excess (like with those pens).
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Maybe it's just dirty. I've used alcohol with a soft cloth to gently remove crud from engraving without harming the paint. I suppose naptha (lighter fluid) used sparingly might work also, or maybe a citrus-based cleaner followed with a damp cloth would be safer than either. If you think the paint is discolored, maybe a little hydrogen peroxide applied with a tooth pick or similar tool would work, but I think cleaning and the paint stick Ken pointed out would be better than trying to bleach.
    I agree. I've had lenses that I thought the engraving had just been worn out of, but upon closer inspection and a little bit of digging, the numbers were just full of crud. Probably dead skin and other nasty bits =P.

Falkland Islands: not any more now I'm in Lincolnshire UK
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Tippex works well. Just wipe off the surplus before it dries.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a 4-inch brush that I can send ya!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Paint sticks are the way to go. Wipe on, wipe off ala Karate Kid. Give it a minute or so to set before the wipe off part though.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am not sure as to what you meant by blackened brass - not painted. If it is tarnished brass perhaps brass cleaner on a toothpick will clean the engravings. I would avoid bleach as it would be corrosive.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use that filling paint recommended by Ken, it's pretty easy to apply and the finish is quite nice. Sometimes I even change colors for even further customization.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyg View Post
    I am not sure as to what you meant by blackened brass - not painted. If it is tarnished brass perhaps brass cleaner on a toothpick will clean the engravings. I would avoid bleach as it would be corrosive.
    There are treatments which will darken brass, and that sounds like what the OP was referring to. I agree about the bleach. I wouldn't use anything stronger than hydrogen peroxide- H2O2. The free radical O could I suppose react or bleach the blackening but I doubt it would do much in the short time, and applying the peroxide only to the engraving using the tip of a pin or some such would keep it confined.
    Still, I think the first step is to clean the engraving and see if that does it. If it doesn't, then the cleaning will help the new paint stick.

Shooter
    Large Format
    gloss paint and a roller, and oh yes get a life

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin