Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,989   Posts: 1,524,090   Online: 1119

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Looking for a plan to build 5x7

I am contemplating of making my own 4x5 camera. Are there any plans available that I can take a look to see if this is within my capability? I saw many photos and partial plans but there was nothing that contained enough details so far.

I would prefer something free but I understand something detailed must be paid for, so reference to a published book would be appreciated as well.

Other than the size, I don't have any particular spec in mind. I'd like to see a few to see what's out there, what's possible, and see if I can actually do it.
    Last edited by tkamiya; 05-11-2010 at 10:53 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: wrong size!
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have an almost complete set of plans on CAD for 5x4. I could easily stretch them to 5x7 and send them to you.

As for capability, have a look at Rayment Kirby's website and look through the 'Workshop' section to see what you think.

http://www.raymentkirbycameras.co.uk/

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh, no.... I meant 4x5, not 5x7. I will edit my post if it will let me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi, Steve,

I really meant 4x5. I saw Rayment Kirby's site, and it actually was the source of my inspiration (madness). From his site, it looks like some of the skills are within my capabilities. What is missing though is details. I have no LF cameras here and things such as how film cassette attaches to the body or ground glass is mystery to me. That's what I meant by "not enough details on internet."

How would I be able to relieve your cad rendered plans? e-mail or postal service?? I would be grateful if I can take a look at yours.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'd say get a poco or such and rebuild/restore it. Having all the bits and pieces there will really help you, especially if this is the first time you've made such a thing.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm
    I would agree with Keith. Get a used camera in terrible shape so you get salvage the hardware. Unless you have access to a machine shop, making the brass/metal hardware by hand is difficult at best.
    Sorin

__________________________________________________ __________________________________
    Frugal Sorin Blog - Last article : light proof material (for darkroom, changing bag, focusing cloth,etc)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You may want to use the "report post" function to ask a moderator to edit the thread title .
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    I really meant 4x5. I saw Rayment Kirby's site, and it actually was the source of my inspiration (madness). From his site, it looks like some of the skills are within my capabilities. What is missing though is details. I have no LF cameras here and things such as how film cassette attaches to the body or ground glass is mystery to me. That's what I meant by "not enough details on internet."

How would I be able to relieve your cad rendered plans? e-mail or postal service?? I would be grateful if I can take a look at yours.
    You're in luck then as I based my plans on his design sketches. Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will send them to you. You will have to do a bit of working out yourself but it's 80% of the way there.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    PM sent!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sv@diycamerakit.com View Post
    Unless you have access to a machine shop, making the brass/metal hardware by hand is difficult at best.
    I think as time goes by we get lazier and forget how things used to be done. All of the brass parts on a camera can be made with simple hand tools. It's not easy but it's still possible.

One of the best tools at your disposal is ingenuity. Spend some time looking at a problem and see if you can come up with another way of doing it using the tools and materials available to you. For instance, if you see a camera which has most of the front standard parts made from brass you may be put off if your metalworking skills are not up to much but look at a few pictures of cameras and you will find some with most of these parts in wood.

If you're not too good at woodwork joints then have a look in your local hardware shop and see if they have any brackets, catches and fasteners which could be used.

In order to make a working camera in its simplest form, you only need to achieve two things:

1. Get the lens the correct distance away from the film.
    2. Keep out any light which is not coming through the lens.

Anything else is an added bonus!

If you don't want to build everything then a good way to start on your first camera is to buy a spring back film holder and build it from that.

Steve.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin