Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,859   Online: 945

Shooter
    35mm

Adapting Various Lenses to my F3

I have an F3 with the 6x DW-4 viewfinder, and it's great for macro work. I have successfully adapted a Mamiya 50mm macro lens to this camera by mounting a T-Mount to the back of the lens extension tube (and removing the aperture spring so I can adjust the aperture manually). I've shot with it a little and it has been fun. Now I'd like to get a bit more adventurous and start playing with movements, a la the Lensbaby and view cameras. I have an oddball assortment of lenses to work with:

1) Repromaster 150mm f/9 in barrel with working aperture, 32.5mm rear thread, and an enormous mounting plate. This lens seems to be very sharp and I've thought about adapting it to my RB67, but it has no shutter.

2) 3-element glass lens from a broken Polaroid Colorpack with no aperture adjustment, no mounting hardware, 114mm f/9.2 according to the Land List.

3) f/6.8 Ernemann Detectiv Aplasmat with working aperture but no shutter, probably about 100mm focal length. This came off an Ernemann Bob II that somebody apparently stepped on, destroying the bellows.

4) Inspection eyepiece from some sort of industrial equipment, no aperture adjustment, focal length is about 25mm and surprise, it covers 35mm! Very close focusing, probably a great choice for a "lensbaby" substitute.

5) Three different lens elements from a disassembled Tamron 70-210mm zoom. By themselves they don't do much, but one of them widens the field of view of the Polaroid lens when placed in front, and the other two each have different effects on the Repromaster (similar to a convertible lens). I'd like to mount these in cells of some sort and attach rings to the various lenses to allow me to attach these elements individually.

So, my question is basically this: what materials would I be best able to use to make cheap, and flexible, mounts for any or all of these? The Repromaster is very heavy so I doubt I'm gluing it to the end of a length of PVC pipe, and anyway that would not give me movements. I've searched through the forum and read several articles on the internet, but I'm open to ideas and experiences from APUG members.
    Last edited by rthomas; 05-15-2010 at 09:41 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The easiest might be to get a no-name bellows & adapt to the front with your pvc sections.
    These things aren't really sturdy but you could put a brace on to support the front end.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    Bellows is probably the simplest solution to just USE the lenses. Even a Nikon Bellows 3 can be had for under $100... but not with movements (for that I would need the PB-4 which is $200 or more (not cheap by my current standards).

I went to a hardware store today and found some flexible plastic tubing (the kind used for cable management) that might work well for the smaller lenses like the Polaroid and the inspection eyepiece. For the bigger ones I guess nested PVC pipe and tape will work well enough.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin