Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,477   Posts: 1,542,654   Online: 803

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Help needed - Quarter plate camera

I've had a Quarter plate camera for years that an ex girl-friend gave me in the early 90's. It's sat on the mantle piece until last night when I decoded restoration was in order. The lens is in excellent optical shape andcovers 5x4 I have a TP shutter that can be used on the front.

The initial restoration of the wood & brass was easy and took about 4 hours, the bellows are shot and will have to be replaced, and I'll have to make a new focus screen. The intention is to make a second back that will accept a roll film holder, or perhaps adapt a 9x12 Rollex (pre WWII Linhof fit) that I already have, but the register is significantly different.

The BIG problem is the front standard is missing, I have the lens board and panel that fits in & attaches to the bellows. I need some help, either if someone has some spare parts or photographs of what the standard might look like.

The other missing part is less critical and I need another beass piece, essentially a stop as shown below the thumb nut.

Any help/suggestions welcome.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    David Vickers has been toying with cameras, Ian. He has a planer and has done some decent work. He has even been doing some ground glasses as well. Might look him up and see if he might be able to throw a little something together for you.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Ian

you can pretty much guess what the front standard looks like. The 2 key holes in the nickel plate on the front of the camera "key" (lock) the front standard into place (2 screws stick out from the front standard and slide sideways to lock the lens board into place.

The lens board needs to be smaller than the back standard so that you can close the camera, but big enough to take the lens board...the thickness of it would be based on what timber you have available - I would guess around 8-12mm thick..

If I can find a picture of a similar camera I'll post it for you

As for bellows have a look at the DIY bellows (and ground glass) kits made by a APUG member (his website is http://www.diycamerakit.com/index.php - I've never made bellows, but the feedback from APUG members has been very good)

Good luck!
    A camera is only a black box with a hole in it....

my blog...some film, some digital http://andrewk1965.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Andrew & Chris.

The ground glass isn't an issue as I've been making my own anyway for some time , and I already have the bellows pattern. I made and tested patterns about 3 months ago and can adapt them easily to fit any camera, I just need to get the outer covering.

I can work out the size for the front standard as the camera is quite similar to this Half Plate Pembroke in the image below. It may even be made by the same company as the hardware is identical, there's some artistic license in the etching as the TP shutter is mounted sideways

Still hoping someone may have some parts which would save having to make the brass plate to adjust the rise/fall and getting the brass nob etc which are a bit like the fitting in the second image.

Ian
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pembroke_HP.jpg   front.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A local joiners/cabinet maker is building a new standard, bellows are in progress, just the brass fittings to make

Also making an adapter to allow a Roll film back 6x9 or 6x7.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Very good, Ian. I need to get another older camera so my wife can remark that I don't need ANOTHER one . . . ;p
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi,

I'm interested to know how you cleaned up your woodwork?
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Easy Steve.

I totally dis-assembled the camera stripping off all the brass work, taking every screw out so all the wooden parts were separate, then I used wet & dry paper 400 grit. Finally I french polished the wood work, I cheated using a small paint brush giving 2- 3 light coats. The very bright sunlight when I took the photographs exaggerates the colour differences in the wood.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Now with a newly made front standard and a freshly ground new focus screen all that's needed is the new bellows, 3 brass fittings and a new top strap.

The camera will be used with a 6x7 roll film back on it's way from California courtesy of WadeD, so now to make an adapter to take this

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    That's beautiful, just like it was always there.
    But how do you do the movements with this standard? From the picture it looks like it's fixed/glued.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin