Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,993   Posts: 1,524,258   Online: 1001

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

ultimate focus hood

I have always hated climbing under and out of a focusing cloth and messing my hair and having the wind blow the cloth in front of the lens when least expected and besides it's hot and you are vulnerable to what's going on around you so I finally made the perfect focusing hood, for me at least. Here are some pictures. The lining is a lightproof vinyl-neoprene and the scrim fabric is ballistic nylon and it can be found at Jo Ann fabrics for $5.00 yard and it can be sewn or glued with weatherstrip cement used fo car weatherstripping. Take a look.
    Denise Libby
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hood 1.jpg   hood 2.jpg   hood 3.jpg   hood 5.jpg   hood 6.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very good idea, I'm very tempted to emulate that somewhat for myself.

Thanks for the pictures.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How do you hold a loupe in there? It seems enclosed on all four sides.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Dear phaedrus;
    The hood frame is hinged in the middle for inserting a film holder and to use a loupe or if just using the loupe, the hood collapses. There's also a draw cord to shape the opening for individual head size and to allow the use of a loupe with one hand while focusing with the other. The hinged frame allows the hood to be used in both the vertical and horizontal without being awkward and still affords the same light shielding.
    Denise Libby

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the back flared out the entire bag could cover the camera when the camera is folded. Maybe a flap inside that was velcro'ed that could be pull over the ground glass when covered to completely cover the back of the camera.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    this looks like an ingenious alternative to a dark cloth. But I am curious about what holds the hood in its open position. Is there some sort of framework inside?

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How do you breathe in there without fogging the GG? What holds the hood out away from the camera? I really like the look of it, appears promising, maybe not for 4x5 though.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Interesting concept. You might try adding some sleeves so you can get your hands inside to use a loupe, but on the other hand, one can use a loupe with a folding hood and it doesn't have to be completely shaded as is desirable for seeing the whole frame.

With a traditional darkcloth, it isn't necessary to climb under the cloth or to attach the cloth to the camera. I usually fold the cloth approximately in half, white side in, and drape it over my shoulders. When I want to use it, I flip it over my head and over the camera back, and I can quickly take it off, if I need to see what's going on around me.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Dear Rick, Dan, Dave and Curt;
    Thanks for the comments and questions. The hood stays fairly erect without any framework because of the material and the use of the draw cord to form the opening. I can use a loupe over the entire GG by just collapsing the hood with my face or in a low light situation just open the hinge and I have access to the entire ground glass either way. I hold my breath while focusing and composing. If I have my whole face pressed into the hood and if I need to take a breath, I open the hood from the side where it is held closed with two Velcro tabs. Like most of us, I have fogged my GG when using a darkcloth too so the enclosed hood isn't that much more of a problem. I too, used a focusing cloth the way you describe, Dave, but I found many times, when standing on light colored surfaces, such as cement, sand, snow etc., I had to hold it tight against the bottom of the camera or have it held closed, or the light from underneath was just too distracting and I still ruined my coif. There now I have confessed! Vanity is the mother of invention! Curt, I didn't want to make the hood any larger than absolutely necessary and as I always keep the camera in it's own bag, it didn't need any extra protection. Thanks for the interest Guys.
    Denise Libby

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Neat hood- Yay for ingenuity!
    M. David Farrell, Jr.

----------------------------------------------
    ~Buying a Nikon doesn not make you a photographer. It makes you a Nikon owner!

~Everybody has a photographic memory, but not everybody has film!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin