Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,536,061   Online: 949

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Disassembling Tiltall?

I am looking to disassemble a Marchioni Tiltall (#4602) I recently acquire from ebay. I found an exploded view diagram, but it is not detailed enough for me to read. I am trying to take apart the leg segments. I have unscrewed the leg locking mechanism, but I cannot remove the threaded washer that the locking ring attaches to. This is the diagram:
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_KH9N26b5O2...-h/Tiltall.png

The brass ring is what I am trying to remove:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_KH9N26b5O2..._Leg_Locks.jpg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I suspect the threaded brass segment is a press fit glued in using a form of Epoxy. If you're dead set on getting it apart heat may be the answer.
    I don't see the threaded ring in the diagram and suspect it's not made to be removable.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is of interest to me too as I have a Tiltall I purchased used back in the early 70's (my first good tripod). I now have another that I use but I'd like to clean up the old one which is definitely showing its age. Will the lower legs come out with the brass ring in place?
    Various Canons and Nikons. A Mamiya and a Bronica. A couple Brownies, and a Couple of Argus' (Argi?)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I believe they will, Currently I've got Gitzo, Quickset and Manfrotto. None of them use an insert like Tiltall, each tube section has an external thread. On any of them once the collar and compression ring is removed the leg section slips out.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The leg locking mechanism is not meant to be removed. Once it has been removed, it no longer stays in place and allows the leg to be locked. I have an older Marchioni Bros as well, and that is one of its maladies, I bought it from someone who failed to mention it. Now I have a leg that wont stay extended. Fortunatly, its one of the lower joints, and doesn't matter too much(unless I need to go tall). I think the part is a press fit, I may try a spot of JB weld to attempt a repair. The ring you are trying to remove, should be visable once the outer knurled ring is unscrewed. Try pulling the leg out of the outer (larger) leg joint.The ring is most likely inside the knurled locking ring, and will come out once you get it past the smaller section.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you for the reply ralnphot. Are you saying the legs cannot be taken apart or that just the locking mechanism cannot be removed from the leg?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I cannot get the locking mechanism off either. I have one that has come apart(the part that is press fit in the larger leg), the lock no longer works and the leg wont stay extended.
    If you unscrew the knurled outer ring, and the lock(inner split ring)is not visable, it should be inside the knurled cap. Unscrew the cap, extend the leg so you have room to work, and use a hook of some sort to pull the inner ring out. I was successful trying that on one of my legs, and the lock ring is in proper place now.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    35mm
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_KH9N26b5O2...-h/Tiltall.png

ralnphot,

Let me see if I am understanding you correctly. If I remove the locking mechanism (#45), I have to use a hook to remove the bushing (#44) from pipe #42? This will allow the leg to be taken apart?

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Okay, I've just pulled a leg from my TA. Unscrew the leg from the body of the pod. Starting at the foot, unscrew #51 from lower section #50. Then unscrew#49 from #46, and #45 from #42. Push each leg section UP through the larger section(toward the top of the leg). You should now have a completely disassembled leg. The exploded view shows the reverse(pulling from the bottom)you must do the reverse of the drawing.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Excellent Rick! So simple, and once you figure it out it makes so much sense...
    Various Canons and Nikons. A Mamiya and a Bronica. A couple Brownies, and a Couple of Argus' (Argi?)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin