Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,688   Posts: 1,482,360   Online: 764

Thread: Stuck Shutter

Shooter
    35mm

Stuck Shutter

Hi! I'm caught in a delimma of sorts...

I own a 2nd hand Olympus Om1, my very first camera actually and for some reason the shutter is stuck. I just wound the film advance lever as normal and for some reason the shutter is already stuck. The film advance lever would a quarter of the way or so only. The mirror has not locked up either, I can freely move it up and down using the mirror lock up on the side. I dont know if I aggravated the problem by turning the self-timer, however it would only go for around 8 seconds from the 12 second position before it stops...

Any help or advice would be really appreciated

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try just flicking the winding lever with your thumb, I think you could have "beaten"the winding mechanism and got it out of sequence.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    What benjiboy said. And also try pounding the bottom of the camera hard with the heal of the hand whilst diddling gently with the film advance lever. Sometimes turning the drive sprockets whilst diddling the film advance also works.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    35mm
    Wind the self timer up again, push the little tab to lock it. Then try to wind and fire the shutter. John

Shooter
    35mm
    If you have small screwdrivers try to remove the bottom plate. I've saved 3 cameras this way. Small garbage, sand, dust and all kind of things you can imagine can go between gears.

Anyway, just give it a try, you don't have to lose anything

Shooter
    35mm
    thanks for the reply guys! ill try it later, i seem to recall that it did happen once but it fixed for some reason, anyways ill do some of the things you guys suggested, last resort would be to send it to the capital to get fixed O.o

Shooter
    35mm
    Could be shutter is wound but mirror is not cocked. It's the mirror going up that actually fires the shutter. John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I recommend you send it to John Hermanson and have it fixed right proper.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin