Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,660   Posts: 1,481,540   Online: 1030

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Grytpype View Post
    I stand corrected, Ian! My Google searches were obviously not rigorous enough. Do we have any volunteers on the forum (preferably with a poor or non-existent sense of smell!) willing to test the efficacy of the treatment?
    Well! I've stripped down an infected Industar-61 and put it in a ziplock bag together with a handful of naphthalene mothballs. Haven't cleaned any fungi off yet though. Planning on leaving them there for a while. Meanwhile, I'm gonna go shopping for suitable grease to replace those dried up gunk. I have high hopes.

Also took apart an ultra-wide zoom that had fogged up pretty badly due to the fungi. No matter how hard I scrubbed the fog refused to disappear - turns out the fungi got into the lens cement. Doomed for the junk pile, I'm afraid.

Incidentally, how do you guys clean the inner elements? I don't feel quite secure doing the same thing I do with the external surfaces; I'd imagine more resilient coating would have been applied on the outside.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wonder if gas sterilization with ETO would work for a fungus infection? No heat or pressure and it wouldn't involve trying to 'scrub' the lens clean. If you new someone who worked in a hospital or any other place that used gas sterilization it seems like a possibility although I don't know what it would do to the coating on a lens.

Ash

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Exsalisis - If you are based in Singapore, it might be worth investing in a small electric dry cabinet for future storage of your gear. If it saves one lens, it has earned its keep.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    People with gun safes use a small heating element (http://www.goldenroddehumidifiers.com) or even a low wattage light bulb to raise the interior temp a few degrees and keep interior moisture down. Would work in a cabinet as well.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Exsalisis View Post
    Also took apart an ultra-wide zoom that had fogged up pretty badly due to the fungi. No matter how hard I scrubbed the fog refused to disappear - turns out the fungi got into the lens cement. Doomed for the junk pile, I'm afraid.
    I read an article once that gave information about how to un-cement glued lens elements without damaging them, clean them, and re-glue them with canada balsam, though you can probably get better glues for lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thisismyname09 View Post
    I read an article once that gave information about how to un-cement glued lens elements without damaging them, clean them, and re-glue them with canada balsam, though you can probably get better glues for lenses.
    Steven Tribe over on the LFP forum has described how he does this in a well written thread.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    I lived in SE Asia and had numerous lenses as fungus victim. Yes it is highly contagious and nothing will secure your gear better than a dry cabinet.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    but isn't the trad naptha moth balls now impossible to obtain in the U.K. at least as a result of the dreaded Health and Safety regs?
    Nothing to do with this thread but Health and Safety seem to get the blame for a lot of things which they are not responsible for. The H & S Executive's mythbusting webpages are worth a read: http://www.hse.gov.uk/myth/index.htm

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by thisismyname09 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Steven Tribe over on the LFP forum has described how he does this in a well written thread.
    I would attempt to do that for a more expensive lens, but considering this one cost me around 80USD in mint-ish condition I don't think it's worth it buying the solvents and glue. It was a good read though. Never thought that it's possible to DIY around with cemented elements.

Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    People with gun safes use a small heating element (http://www.goldenroddehumidifiers.com) or even a low wattage light bulb to raise the interior temp a few degrees and keep interior moisture down. Would work in a cabinet as well.
    I would definitely want to get one to supplement the dehumidifier if I can find some way to power it in a dry cabinet. And yes, I am going to get myself a dry cabinet really soon. Won't put infected gear in though, just in case.

Oh, and apparently the fungi has started growing on the sensor of my digital camera too. Hopefully it's on the low-pass filter and not under it. This is one really expensive lesson. No real idea on how to get rid of the abnormally high concentrations of spores that'll probably still be in my equipment even after cleaning either. Read somewhere about putting them in a sealed container with fungicides with high vapour pressure to kill the spores, but with spores as resilient as they are, I'm not even sure that will work.

Shooter
    35mm
    Would this actually do the trick for those of us on a budget? I live in a humid climate and I'm very worried about fungus on my Pentax stuff. Just happened to see it when I was browsing on BHP.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...1_Dry_Box.html

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin