Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,561   Online: 1144

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian C View Post
    There's a simple calculation that lets you do this fairly easily based on the lensmaker’s equation

1/f = 1/i + 1/p

where f = focal length of the lens, i = image-to-diaphragm distance, and p = subject-to-diaphragm distance.

Knowing any two of these three variables allows calculating the third. f is known and we choose p, so all we need is
    [...]
    What you do not know is where the principal planes are, relative to the film, to the subject and to the diaphragm.
    So don't use the simple infinitely thin lens formula for anything but an approximation. Results including fractional millimeters will be off the mark by a factor at least ten times the precision suggested by the fractional part.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Helios 44-M is made for M42 cameras, flange-to-film distance 45.5 mm. The OP's link says "Working statement, mm: 45,5 "; a poor translation ...

I don't know what the OP means by "if that distance was set for 35mm." If he means setting the lens 35 mm from the film, whatever that means, he'll get no usable image.

The lens is made to cover 24x36, i.e., a 43 mm circle. Until proven otherwise, that's all it will cover. So it will be useless on a larger format.

OP, its time to acquire the concept "coverage."

QG, you should be ashamed of yourself.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    QG, you should be ashamed of yourself.
    I should?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

OP, its time to acquire the concept "coverage."

Isn't that the size of the girls swimming costumes on the beach at this time of year

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I thought it was the number of pages available for an assignment for, say, the Swim Suit Special.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here's a helpful chart for flange to film plane distances. I originally thought this was going to be a thread about LF, else I would have posted this earlier. Who would have thought?

http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~wes...-register.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's a useful page, thanks.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    I should?
    Absolutely.

The OP's question was fairly specific. You replied with vague generalities. I'm sure that if you'd have stopped to think for a moment, as you usually do, you'd have posted an appropriately specific response.

Cheers,

Dan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Absolutely.

The OP's question was fairly specific. You replied with vague generalities. I'm sure that if you'd have stopped to think for a moment, as you usually do, you'd have posted an appropriately specific response.

Cheers,

Dan
    ???

"Vague generalities"???

What i posted was a warning, that using the formulae suggested by someone else could not lead to the desired result.
    That was very specific.

So what was really bothering you, Dad, uhmm... Dan?
    Last edited by Q.G.; 07-03-2010 at 07:08 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Used an expression only i knew existed. Colloquial english wants to be mastered. ;)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    QG, I gave the relevant answer, viz., the lens in question's flange-to-film distance. Your post was correct, as nearly all of your posts are, but irrelevant.

Is that clearer, son?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin