Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,277   Posts: 1,534,822   Online: 844

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Speed Graphic Focal Plane shutter on other cameras

Hi There,

Just wondering if anyone has ever mounted a speed graphic FPS on another camera. Or used the rear standard from a speed graphic and mounted it on a technical camera or something like that? Is that possible?
    paulmcevoy.net
    flickr.com/paulmcevoy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    MPP in the UK made a rear mounted shutter, so did Thornton Pickard. I have heard of the Graflex shutters being used, a Speed Graphics only a box once the front, rails & bellows are stripped out, but i's a waste of a reasonable camera.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ian, as far as I understand the Packard shutter only fires at 1/25? That's better than nothing but seems to leave a lot to be desired. Recently I've seen some graphlex shutters on ebay for sale, I think they are replacement parts. Just wondering.
    paulmcevoy.net
    flickr.com/paulmcevoy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thornton Pickard ain't Packard Very different The larger ones are quite rare though. There was a British MPP rear shutter that could be added to their early Micro Technical cameras, essentially a remake of the pre WWII Linhof Technika.

The Graflex shutters are intregal parts of the camera so not sold separately.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There's a few like this floating around ebay right now:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Graflex-Speed-Gr...item3a5cc94585

I was thinking it might not be that hard to make a rear standard and mount them to that.
    paulmcevoy.net
    flickr.com/paulmcevoy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Totally not sure if that's all the parts.
    paulmcevoy.net
    flickr.com/paulmcevoy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's bit's missing, that or a variant shutter was used for the MPP Micro Press.

That's the parts for a full rebuild/service on an existing camera, but not to make a whole new assembly.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Bummer.

Well if I can find a beater, I wouldn't consider it a waste of a camera...just making something out of something else.
    paulmcevoy.net
    flickr.com/paulmcevoy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have seen a speed graphic shutter (well the rear section of the camera) mounted onto an old view camera - it should not be that hard a modification.

From memory Graflex did make an accessory focal plane shutter to fit onto a view camera too - I seem to remember seeing it in an old catalogue...

Have you thought about mounting a speed graphic shutter to the front standard of a camera? That way you could use a wreck no one would bother restoring (or feel guilty about wrecking) like a 1/4 plate speed graphic?

Would love to see some pictures of whatever you come up with - sounds like a fun project
    A camera is only a black box with a hole in it....

my blog...some film, some digital http://andrewk1965.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    woah Andrew...great idea. I was wondering about doing something with the smaller cameras. It certainly would be a lot cheaper. That's a perfect solution...that way you could have the back rotating and orientation of the rectangle wouldn't be important. And yeah, the cameras are plentiful on ebay and cheap.

Very interesting...
    paulmcevoy.net
    flickr.com/paulmcevoy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin