Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,920   Posts: 1,521,991   Online: 1073

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Putting an SLR lens in a shutter?

For a long time I have been looking for a way to duplicate on 35mm film what I can do with digital: To shoot with an ultrawide lens with flash at high speeds. This has been very useful for action photography, in a sort of "skate video" style.

With film, this would require the use of a leaf shutter. I have never seen a camera with a focal plane shutter that could sync with flash beyond 1/250th s.

And then on the other hand I have never seen a leaf shutter lens that was any wider than 28mm.

I know that the situation is slighty better if I move into medium or large format, but for this application that would bring with it too many new problems and inconveniences.

So my thoughts keep returning to the idea of procuring a large format leaf shutter and a 20-24mm slr lens and mating the two in some obscene way, likely including some hacksawing and some super-glueing.

So two questions:
    1) Is it feasible? Or is there a reason no manufacturer has done this?
    2) Is there not an other way to get [ultrawide] + [high sync speed]?

All input is appreciated. Emil

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Usually the reason to use high speed sync is to balance flash with daylight. The alternative to high speed sync (i.e., reducing the ambient exposure) is to use a more powerful flash or multiple flash units (i.e., increasing the flash exposure) with the maximum sync speed you have. Would that work for you?
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Canon 1D synchs at 1/500. They are as cheap as dirt these days too.

Getting an ultra wide AOV is easier with film than with digital, so I don't understand what you are saying.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A junk lens would be easy to come by. But if, say, a Packard pneumatic shutter were to be had for a cheap price, I would gouge my eyes out for a crack at it without it being butchered. No disdain, just want one. That's all. (These experimentalists . . .) ;p
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm
    There is another way you could do this: Get a camera like an old Nikon F, which can sync with FP-class flashbulbs at up to 1/1000th of a second. This way you wouldn't need to modify any lenses. You'd also need a flashgun such as Nikon's BC-7. Some months ago Cress Photo was posted here on APUG as a source of flashbulbs, they probably have the right kind of bulb.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    The Canon 1D synchs at 1/500. They are as cheap as dirt these days too.
    As is the Nikon D40 I have been using for this purpose. I am looking for a film camera to replace it

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    There is another way you could do this: Get a camera like an old Nikon F, which can sync with FP-class flashbulbs at up to 1/1000th of a second.
    I don't think the power output of bulbs can match an electronic flash. I am already using multiple flash units. Dunno though, I will look into it

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Emil View Post
    I don't think the power output of bulbs can match an electronic flash. I am already using multiple flash units. Dunno though, I will look into it
    Think again! The standard small-medium-sized flashbulb (Sylvania #25 or G.E. #5) will completely blind the standard small-medium-sized electronic flash.

Are you going to like holding your small format focal plane shutter open on bulb, then firing the big leaf shutter that you have front mounted on your lens (It would have to be to cover an extreme wide lens.), then releasing the body shutter for every shot, so that you can advance the film? Unless there is a way to override the meshing of film advance with shutter cocking on your SLR, this will be the procedure you will have to follow.

I think you will find that medium format is the way to go, despite what you believe about it being an expensive hassle. For what you have spent on your D40, the lens, the computer, the software, etc., you could have an outstanding darkroom and a beautiful medium format camera setup with a leaf shutter. Digital is largely a consumer con designed to transfer lots of your money to others. It is best for those who need to take a whole lot of bad shots in order to get to the one shot that matters. Film is incredibly more economical, and gives you about a billion times more equipment variety.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Olympus OM-3 or OM-4 with F-280 flash. Synch speeds up to 1/2000 sec.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    RB67, 37mm fisheye lens (or the RZ) do the job quite well from what I've seen online. Plus you get a much larger negative to play with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin