Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,482,973   Online: 900

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a Wein cell in my OM-1n and have no problems with the meter. It shows spot on with E-6 films and B&W, so I will recommend using them.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks folks.
    Made a rookie mistake.The battery was almost dead.Checked out everything else but forgot to see how much juice left in the cell.Dah.......

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kennedy View Post
    Thanks folks.
    Made a rookie mistake.The battery was almost dead.Checked out everything else but forgot to see how much juice left in the cell.Dah.......
    Read and heed all ye rookies and not so much rookies and forgetful old farts.

It's always great when the solution is so simple. I'll always take embarrassment over hassle or expense.

I've Homer Simpson'ed enough times it's a wonder my forehead isn't flat from smacking it.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    One can buy the MR-9 adapter which permits the OM-1 to silver oxide batteries rather than mercury oxide with accurate readings. No internal 'surgery' is needed to permanently alter the camera circuitry.

Available from zuiko.com or a source in the UK
    http://www.zuiko.com/index_016.htm
    http://www.smallbattery.company.org....r9_adapter.htm

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    I'd check at photo.net(search "PX-625" or "mercury cells")for a trove of info on how to cope without merc cells. Given the dearth of capable repair guys in 2010, I'd try using zinc-air cells rather than risk totally botching the meter with "recalibration" surgery. As long as you stick to C41 films their huge exposure latitude will cover your Oly's meter being off a stop+/-. Few cameras that age escape age-related metering issues, so as long as it's off but linear you'll be OK.
    The problem with the OM-1 is that how much the meter is inaccurate is dependent upon at least these two factors: A) actual battery voltage being output at the time of reading, and B) HOW MUCH LIGHT the reading is being made in.

As a result it is impossible to simply compensate. Use of Wein air cells, or use of MR-9, or permanent installation of an electronic modification are the only available solutions for the OM-1

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's an old camera and the sensors fade. My old Nikon metered finders are all out by a stop, same goes for a couple of Minolta SRT 101s and Nikkormats. All show this with fresh batteries and in all light levels. It's the price you pay when shooting with a relic--live with it or get something newer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    He said it turned out the battery was almost dead.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Since I've touted the great service from Jon Goodman and his light seal kits I'm going with his Tri-Dot Battery Adapter.Uses cheap & readily accessible #675 zinc air hearing aid batteries.Correspondence sent to Jon,money to follow.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'd say cds failure or weakening in OM-1/1N is less the 0.5%. EXTREMELY rare to have to replace the cds cells. Eccentric screw on meter maybe gives you a one stop adjustment arc. I solder a schotkey diode into the meter circuit to replace the MR9. Some repair shops "adjust" the meter by regluing the asa plate in the wrong position. This works in some ways but you lose some of the high or low asa settings (because plate is wrong position). John

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin