Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,498   Posts: 1,543,110   Online: 1040

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    YMMV but for self-adhesive labels and many tapes, I find naptha/lighter fluid the most effective. I would worry that acetone and stronger solvents might damage paint. Naptha seems pretty benign. With paper labels, a bit of naptha applied with a Q-tip soaks right through the paper and softens the glue. Now if they are wet-and-stick material, something like rubbing alcohol with a bit of water content would be a better bet.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    Nail polish remover may work, too. It's got acetone, which is a decent solvent.
    It also contains an oil, which it leaves as a residue on whatever you use it on, so that your nails don't begin to crack. Often scents and colouring agents too.
    Better use plain acetone to clean something.

Acetone is, of course, not to be used on plastics and painted surfaces. Only on bare metal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    It also contains an oil, which it leaves as a residue on whatever you use it on, so that your nails don't begin to crack. Often scents and colouring agents too.
    Better use plain acetone to clean something.

Acetone is, of course, not to be used on plastics and painted surfaces. Only on bare metal.
    I tend to buy the ones that have fewer additives - you can find them easier now. And, yes, not on painted surfaces. The OP said it was a metal area so would be ok there. The acetone will get the gooey part off then I use the alcohol to clean the area up.

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have had really great luck with little pads that you can sometimes find at the drug store that are for use to remove adhesive tape without tearing your skin. They are mainly mineral oil. I have used these things to remove Duct Tape from an E-bay camera that I practically stole because it had Duct tape all over it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If the label is on bare metal that you can separate from the rest of the camera, consider this:

One of the few compensations for advanced age is the continuing supply of little plastic bottles from the pharmacy, great for storing things if you can get the labels off. Put the bottle, minus its cap, in a coffee can that has a folded-up paper towel at the bottom, and dribble some lacquer thinner (not paint thinner) onto the towel. Put the plastic lid on the can, wait a couple of hours or overnight, and the label will peel off gracefully with little or no residue. If the bottle is a bit tacky from residue, a wipe-down with mineral spirits shines it right up. Obviously, you wouldn't want to do this with something painted or of unknown plastic without testing first, and definitely not something like an assembled camera!

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Out of my assortment of solvents I use for removing residues of stickers mostly artificial terpentine.
    Those sticker-remover gels will work too (but I spare those for soaking stickers).

Anyway, without prior experience a test with an utmost tiny drop of solvent at a hidden place should be made to test for any matting, glossy or even solving effect of the agent.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    One of the easiest things I have tried was another peice of tape. Press the tape on the area and lift off quickly. A few taps and the residue will come off.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wouldn't use goof off for any camera if it has any value. It will dissolve almost anything it touches. It's not very nice to skin either.
    Goo gone works very well except for some rubber or contact cements.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The OP referred to the "soft" adhesive from the label, but here is a tip for cases where the adhesive is old, hardened masking or gaffer's tape: coat it with a thick layer of automotive mechanics' hand cleaner (the stuff that looks like rancid mayonnaise) and let it sit for a while. At some point, the adhesive will come off with a soft rag, and I have yet to see it damage any kind of paint, plating, or plastic (of course, there's always a first time ).

I used this on some barndoors that had twenty year old gaffer's tape on them (it turned into threads and powder when I tried to peel it off) and it worked like a charm. Be aware that some brands have abrasive in them, which would probably scratch anything other than chrome plating.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Forget all the solvents, acetone, lighter fluid. I have always had 100% success using household spray polishes like "mr sheen" (UK). Whatever they put in them, cleans off label glue a treat.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin