Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,056   Posts: 1,561,397   Online: 1166

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Coverage area of a lens

This is probably a very silly question....

What determines the maximum coverage of a particular lens? Is it design of the lens? Is it focal length of the lens? Is it the distance between the lens and the film?

The reason I ask is that I am starting to collect a bit of junk camera body and lens... from 35mm to MF to enlarger lens. If I wanted to play with these and say, make a panorama shooter, projecting to 120 film, how should I logically approach the lens selection?
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, I am very bored today.... have been sick at home for few days.

Shooter
    Large Format
    That’s mainly determined by the design. For example, a 150/5.6 Nikkor W covers the 4” x 5” format, while the 150/8 Nikkor SW covers the 8” x 10” format.

You have to choose a lens based upon the coverage it has. It can’t be changed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Purely design & physical constraints. The head (lens cells) of an older Leitz 35mm telephoto lens actually covers 5x4.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you Ian 1 and Ian 2.... DARN!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In a related question- does the diameter of elements necessarily have any effect on coverage? I've heard that the 40/2.8 Sonnar that came with the Rollei 35RF (recent Voightlander clone) is optically the same as the Sonnar in the old Rollei 35 S/SE- yet the diameter of these elements is vastly different.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Have a look at my home made 6x12 camera link (below). Doesn't answer your question but you did say you were bored!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    More specifically, I guess the optical formula and physical constraints determine the coverage *angle*, and the coverage *area* then grows in proportion to the focal length, right? Which is why it's hard to build a wide-angle lens with large coverage.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I know one excellent camera repair guy. He once told me that he had made a device to compare the image circle of Leica and Nikkor lenses and found that whereas the Nikkors barely covered 35mm film, the Leica's covered almost 60x60mm. By using the best portion of their image circle, the Leica's were much sharper than the Nikkors, he claimed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks but that's not fair! You have access to a nice CNC machine!! Very nicely done!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Have a look at my home made 6x12 camera link (below). Doesn't answer your question but you did say you were bored!
    Steve.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin