Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,429   Online: 1026

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

DIY Ground Glass

Will need to make one once I have the 14x17 back completed. Can anyone point me to a website or how to get started? Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You can try a 1/32" glass from your local hardware store and sodium hydroxide. Just brush it on, wait a few minutes and rinse off. It leaves a fine grain very smooth surface.
    Gun Control is like: Reducing drunk driving by making it harder for SOBER people to buy cars.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ian has a great tutorial on making a ground glass here on APUG. I've made one for my 4x5 using his technique. Not hard to do at all.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruzingoose View Post
    You can try a 1/32" glass from your local hardware store and sodium hydroxide. Just brush it on, wait a few minutes and rinse off. It leaves a fine grain very smooth surface.
    Interesting.
    What concentration NaOH:H2O? Or simply bare grains?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruzingoose View Post
    Do you know how it compares to Armour Etch, as far as an evenly smooth surface?

http://www.armourproducts.com/ecom-c...mour_Etch.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I seriously doubt that sodium hydroxide will etch glass. And I am not lye-ing to you. ;<)
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I experimented with armour etch on some 4x5 glass. I could never get an even surface brushing it on but I did get a fairly usable glass by floating it, although I did get some around the edges on the clean side. I don't think it would be feasible with a glass that big.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Chinn View Post
    I experimented with armour etch on some 4x5 glass. I could never get an even surface brushing it on but I did get a fairly usable glass by floating it, although I did get some around the edges on the clean side. I don't think it would be feasible with a glass that big.
    I have used it to make some 8x10's. And yes brushing is tricky if you want an even finish. I seal and tape the back side as to keep it from being etched. I found that diluting the paste to a thin consistency works fairly well. The results are as bright as any commercial gg I have seen. It's not perfect by-far, but you can make a functional gg in just a few minutes.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    I've had good results using 600 grit emory on a random orbit sander, on 2mm Lucite sheet plastic, available from big box hardware stores in US. It's not glass, but it's also inexpensive and easy. And the results are pretty good.

I've also done the same with the 8.5"x11" plastic fresnel sheet magnifiers, available from Staple's office supply. The reverse side is flat, and takes the emory sanding pretty good. Then orient the sanded side toward the lens, and you have a GG with built-in fresnel.

~Joe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin