Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,523,985   Online: 803

Shooter
    Multi Format

Nikkormat ftn shutter issues

Hi

First of all, english is not my mother tongue so bear with me
    if any misspellings or funny grammar appears
    I just bought a Nikkormat ftn and it got some shutter issues.
    The problem is when I press the release button the shutter stays open until I
    release it (like it was in bulb mode) and as soon as I release it I can hear the timer starts ticking.
    To make use of the shutter speeds I needs to use the self timer which is kinda
    inconvenient when you try to catch the moment.
    Do anybody knows anything about this problem ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If the camera releases using the self timer, it suggests a linkage that is sticking or mis-adjusted. I'd think that a CLA would fix it.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Before the CLA, i would also suggest to keep using it for a little bit (gently) shooting blanks (with no film) just to see if it will work itself out. It probably sat for a little while before you started using it again.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Please don't whatever you do try and fix the shutter yourself, the Copal Square type shutters they have in Nikkormats come out unravel and look like metal spaghetti if mess about with them, when I used to sell them customers used to bring them back to the shop like that when they had prodded them with their fingers, pencils or other sharp objects.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 08-30-2010 at 08:35 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the help.
    Well I ended up returning the camera mostly because I found another one in mint condition for a better price and because the seller did not mention problem.
    Otherwise I think it would been a interesting time to find and fix the problem.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin