Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,541   Posts: 1,544,375   Online: 1087

Shooter
    Medium Format

Paint on a 1930s camera (Rolleicord Art Deco)

Has anyone come across a good modern equivalent for the paint on these cameras?
    It looks to be a powder-based paint which is somewhere between satin and gloss - i.e. modern glossy paint just doesnt work.

I did a test-run with gloss on a junk camera that had the same kind of finish. While the paint was dry to the touch, I sanded with 1200 grit paper and wiped it with isopropyl. Not bad, although for the Rollei, I want the repaint on the viewfinder to look just right.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Not familiar with the camera in question, but in the 1930s the premium long-wearing finish was baked enamel, very commonly seen on cameras, firearms, and medical/scientific instruments. It is still made, and as of a few years ago could be bought in small quantities from gunsmithing suppliers. I wouldn't be surprised to find it used for musical instrument restoration, and in that case maybe in a color other than black

(If you do a Google search, try the term "baking enamel".)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin