Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,707   Posts: 1,482,874   Online: 981

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Ideally the cold is applied to the screw only, as with that (deep frozen) ice cube.
    Simply spraying the screw head (especially in sunk heads) would be less effective than applying the liquid that way that it won't reach the body where the screw sits in.

At least I guess so...
    I mean: will a hole that sits in a much larger body shrink or extend, when cold is just applied to that hole??
    How about wart remover, the type that freezes the wart? It's legal here. It has an end that looks like a Q-tip (cotton swab on a stick). It's applied directly to the wart. The same could be done with a screw, no doubt. One applicator might be enough if you do some in quick succession.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Wartner?

I guess it would work, but it risks making the metal more fragile and prone to stripping (worst nightmare)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewkirkby View Post
    Wartner?

I guess it would work, but it risks making the metal more fragile and prone to stripping (worst nightmare)
    And so we have come full circle.
    Have a look at the OP, tip #1.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    how would it work and yet make more susceptible to doing what it was supposed to not do

what did i miss

i shape the screwdriver to fit the head orif possible dremel the head deeper and wider

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The product is known as Wartner, my comment was purely based on my own experience.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You put Wartner on plastic and it will literally burn a hole in it, then you'll have much more than a stubborn screw to cry over.
    The stuff is fairly nasty on plastic (corrosive by nature, which is why it's effective on some, but not all, warts). Another trick is to soak a cotton bud tip in WD-40 and press down against the screw to allow penetration. Leave for 1 hour. WD-40 is also excellent for dissolving adhesive residues.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

One beautiful image is worth
    a thousand hours of therapy.

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government
    to save the environment."
    .::Ansel Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cold applied to the screw would make it expand and make it tighter in the threads. It would be better to apply heat as with a soldering iron to the screw to make it contract and apply cold to the area around the screw hole to make it expand. Simple physics. Parts machined for close tolerance press fit are assembled this way.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewkirkby View Post
    Wartner?

I suppose you mean more brittle from being chilled, rather than more fragile. It is not likely to make it more prone to stripping, but could conceivably make it more likely to break. However, torque must be applied judiciously to anything that small, so I doubt it's a big worry.
    If the material is soft, therefore more likely to be damaged by the screwdriver, the chilling will make it harder and more resistant to damage.

The shrinkage is key. If it is still tight, more force should not be applied. Letting it warm and chilling it again would be sensible. The repeated cycles will work, unless the screw has some kind of locking material in the threads. In those cases, heat from the tip of a soldering iron used carefully will be most effective, followed by letting the screw cool enough to shrink back to size, or subsequently heating the area around the screw as well. The problem could also be corrosion; the thermal shock and penetrants can usually free those up unless the corrosion is excessive.
    Last edited by lxdude; 09-03-2010 at 04:09 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: clarity

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by guitstik View Post
    Cold applied to the screw would make it expand.
    Quote Originally Posted by guitstik View Post
    It would be better to apply heat as with a soldering iron to the screw to make it contract.
    I think you have that the wrong way round: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/th...als-d_859.html

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I think you have that the wrong way round: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/th...als-d_859.html

Steve.
    I definitely agree, Steve. Simple physics.

Also, press fit parts are press fitted together. Parts assembled with chilled and/or heated mating parts are commonly referred to as interference fit, shrink fit or stress fit parts.
    A press fit is a type of interference fit but the parts are not heated or cooled, just pressed together.

I remember one time at a place I was working someone got the bright idea to grease press fit parts to make them press together more easily. A little unclear on the concept. Lots and lots of scrap from that one.
    I was the inspector who caught it. All the parts had a little grease on them right at the mating point. If they'd used oil I'd never have seen it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin