Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,750   Posts: 1,483,822   Online: 1073

Shooter
    Multi Format

Electric contact cleaner.

Greetings.
    I have repaired a number of analog cameras in the past (wrecked a few in the process).There are 2 high end digital shooters belonging to friends of mine that need mending.I think the problem lays with switches that need a good cleaning.
    I have seen pressurized contact cleaner in the past but nothing seems to be available locally.Can anyone suggest a Canadian supplier and product name?

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Radio Shack has a nice contact cleaner in aerosol form. I have not used it on high end digital cameras but it works well on old gunked up LF shutters. Leaves no residue. Have also used it on my home entertainment controls to get rid of annoying crackle when changing settings. Not expensive either.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Basically you have three choices:

-) using a de-oxidizing cleaner with residue (which acts as lubricant)

-) using the one above, but removing it with solvent and then lubricate with pure lubricant

-) using a residue-free cleaner ("tuner-cleaner", which only is composed of solvents), but which will not remove oxidation

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might look here:

http://www.crc-canada.ca/Home.aspx

Though the Canadian branch may have other prodcts than the European one. And the site doesn't work for me, products don't show up.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    See if your local auto parts store carries CRC QED electrical cleaner. Part number fails me at the moment.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have bought my CRC contact cleaner from Sayal, from one of their several GTA outlets. Thier web site suggests they sell internationally, but I am not sure if they would ship a pressurized solvent internationally.

I'm not sure which cleaner I have, but ot certianly cleans up old noisy potentiometers. It was part of the fix for the 25 or so year old stereo receiver that runs the audio for the living room video monitor. The other part of the fix was about $8 worth of electrolytics that were used to replace all of the old capacitors in the power supply section of the receiver. It was taking forever on turn on for the voltage to stabilize and the muting relay to disengage before the caps were swapped out, and advisting the volume was crackle city.
    my real name, imagine that.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin