Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,197   Online: 752

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Bronica ETRS AE II meter problem

I have just added a Bronica ETRS kit to my stable of cameras. The AE II meter/prism moves erratically and is off a couple of stops compared to my hand held meter.

Any Ideas as to what may be the problem?
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do you have more than one lens to try with it? Sometimes the lens is not communicating properly.
    I suggest carefully cleaning all the contacts between lens and body and between finder and body. Don't use an abrasive such as a pencil eraser to do it as they are gold plated.
    Make sure the battery is fresh, preferably silver oxide. Bronica recommended that first, alkaline second and don't recommend lithium. Clean the battery contacts, too.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The new battery I put in the camera was in the camera bag that came with the kit so I guess it could have lost some of it charge. It was still in the blister pack but it could still be old.
    I have threes lenses and it does the same with all three. I did a visual inspection o f the contacts and they all look new. very shiny and clean, but I know that there could be just enough there to cause a problem. Battery compartment also was very clean. The owner had taken the old battery out because he was not using the camera and did not want the battery to corrode in the battery compartment.
    I will clean the contacts and try a fresh battery today. Hopefully that will do the trick. If not do you have any other suggestions?

Do you know it this is a typical problem with this camera/finder? I have no experience with Bronica gear. All of my MF gear is Mamiya. My Mamiya m645 meter is dead on. I hope that is true with the Bronica as well.
    This camera and the lenses seem to be extremely well made. I am impressed with the build quality and ergonomics of the camera.
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Metering prism probably needs to be serviced.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Do you have more than one lens to try with it? Sometimes the lens is not communicating properly.
    I suggest carefully cleaning all the contacts between lens and body and between finder and body. Don't use an abrasive such as a pencil eraser to do it as they are gold plated.
    Make sure the battery is fresh, preferably silver oxide. Bronica recommended that first, alkaline second and don't recommend lithium. Clean the battery contacts, too.
    Initially true, but Tamron later said the lithium version of the PX-28 was perfectly fine only for the ETR(Si), but not the SQ or GS. ETR is fine with alkaline, silver oxide, or lithium battery.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltw View Post
    Initially true, but Tamron later said the lithium version of the PX-28 was perfectly fine only for the ETR(Si), but not the SQ or GS. ETR is fine with alkaline, silver oxide, or lithium battery.
    They never said it was perfectly fine.

In the larger cameras they say silver oxide is "Best", alkaline is "Good" and of lithium they say "Forget it".
    For the ETR series they say silver oxide is "Best", alkaline is "Good", and lithium is "OK". That equates to "usable" more than "perfectly fine", as I see it.
    It's still not recommended. Only silver oxide is the recommended battery.

www.tamron-usa.com/bronica/batteries.asp

Shooter
    Medium Format
    To me 'OK' equates to perfectly fine. After all, NiMH works best in flash units, so they could be 'recommended' (reuse, recycle times, and no memory) and NiCad might be 'good' (reuse and recycle times) and Alkalines are 'OK' (long recycle time, no reuse). Matter of semantics. Tamron has not cautioned against the use of Lithium in the ETR for any reason, after all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltw View Post
    To me 'OK' equates to perfectly fine. After all, NiMH works best in flash units, so they could be 'recommended' (reuse, recycle times, and no memory) and NiCad might be 'good' (reuse and recycle times) and Alkalines are 'OK' (long recycle time, no reuse). Matter of semantics. Tamron has not cautioned against the use of Lithium in the ETR for any reason, after all.
    The reasons Tamron gives are in the section of their website I linked to, and I don't think the analogy you give really fits.
    It's not just semantics. To say it's perfectly fine is to imply there's no difference. There is a difference. Just because they have not cautioned against it doesn't mean they think it's just as good. It's clearly not the recommended battery. Lithium is usable; I have one in one of my ETR-Si's and it's working without any problem that I can see. But, if I had a problem with a meter or some other part, I would install a new silver oxide battery so as to eliminate the battery as a possible variable. And that is the point of my recommending that the OP install a silver oxide battery.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I just got a LIKE new AE-II view finder nad the meter doesthe same thing which is basically showing everything over exposed no matter what my shutter and aperture are set to.
    All contacts are clean and I installed a fresh new battery. I have tried 3 lenses and the same results.

Any other ideas?
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Use your hand held meter n ssave yourself some grief.

Built in meters are never accurate.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin