Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,058   Posts: 1,561,564   Online: 783

Shooter
    4x5 Format

SPUTNIK Shutter fix

I just receive my Sputnik "in perfect working condition" which, of course, it isn't. I don't really want to send it back. The primary problem is that one of the shutters (left one viewed from the back) sticks open a bit. So when you fire the shutter, it opens 'instantly' but then is usually quite slow to close; i.e. you can watch the leaves slowly close, a bit jerkily. It would appear they just have some goop or something, but would appreciate any guidance. I will be taking it apart to clean and 'upgrade' the camera anyway, just making sure this shutter should be reasonably salvageable.

Thoughts?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Paul:

Work the shutter a number of times. That may loosen up any old dried 'goop'. You can disassemble the shutters and soak them in a solvent - I'd try just alcohol first.

If you decide the shutter's a loss, check out Lubitels. I seem to remember that they had the same lens and shutter.

Charley
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sputnik-shutter-cropped.jpg  

edp

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The left eye hasn't got much inside it; just three shutter leaves and a return spring. It's likely that the moving parts are gummed up, and a soak in solvent will help.

There is very little that can go wrong on that side when you take it apart.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks for the information. Now to just work out how to get it apart and together again without futzing up the focus, etc. Actually, it doesn't look all that bad and I except focus could be re-calibrated if necessary.

Other then the often repeated "non migrating lubricant", what would the appropriate replacement lubricant be? Just kicking around I've got white lithium, silicone, graphite, the oils (well, ok, they wil definitely migrate),etc. Choices, choices.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Soak in naptha lighter fluid. I never had to use a lubricating oil or graphite (will get on the lens elements). Just soak and work it. The crud will work itself out. Good luck!

edp

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, don't lubricate the moving parts inside the shutter. Put a smear of grease around the threads on the front lens cell, that's all.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin