Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,034   Online: 792

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

1898 Camera parts

A few months ago in a separate (restoring my Quarter plate camera) thread I posted some small images from an 1898 advert. A couple of people asked to see the complete adverts. They needed considerable cleaning up to be clear and here they are:

Lonsdale Bros, London

Vevers of Leeds.

You could buy everything you needed to just assemble a camera of almost any style you wanted. Lonsdale Bros also sold camera kits for retailers to assemble & customise as required.

Of particular inters is the wooden profiles for dark slides, and the slide shutter's themselves.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So, where, exactly, is that "way-back" machine when we need it?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    How cool! Thanks Ian...Evan Clarke

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    All I know is that I checked, and there is a place called Clean City at that address now.

http://maps.google.com/maps?rlz=1C1C...ed=0CBMQ8gEwAA
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've put all 7 pages into a PDF file now, it's an interesting set of pages. The company sold finished cameras, half built kits, and then all the parts separately.

PDF of Lonsdale's products 1898

My interest is because I'm still trying to identify the manufacturer of my British Quarter plate Camera.

At last I've narrowed it down, to being a Houghton "Victo", or Thornton Pickard. It's a generic camera, but now I've found TP also sold the Victo. There was a lot of inter trading in the 1880's & 90's

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "So, where, exactly, is that "way-back" machine when we need it? "

I think I need the "Way, waaaay back machine", or a time machine.
    When I'm done building mine I'll be taking orders for all the parts you need

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin