Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,227   Posts: 1,532,691   Online: 742

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Rollei E36RE Excell Battery 12V Rebuild

My Excell battery for the Rollei flash finally gave out. This battery is no longer availabe, (though two 5v Hasselblad batteries can be stacked together at a premium price).

I took the battery apart and it has 10 AAA cells. This should be a simple re-build.

PS: The original Varta battery used ten V500RH button cells stacked together.
    V500RH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    thanks for the tip!!! (never thought about AAA's) I've hacked up a belt pack for mine using C cells,,, dry cells last forever.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ok, so I was able to get 10 batteries from Zbattery for less than 10 bucks. I soldered the batteries together in the same configuration. Everything went back together just fine and it works great. The key elements are the appropriate diameter and length cardboard tube and the tight-fitting metal caps for each end. I should be able to re-build the battery over and over again.

PowerIzer AAA 1000mAh NiMH Rechargeable Batteries, 10/pack $8.95

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Any chance they were solder tabs? Or did you solder direct to the end of the cell?

Shooter
    35mm
    I found a place in Colorado that will build these packs very reasonably if anyone is interested.
    I had to replace the cells in an old Mecablitz flash that I bought in Germany in the early '60s and they did a great job for me.
    THe flash originally had four of those round cells in it.Ron G

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Digikey will also make up custom battery packs with welded tabs.

http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/US2010/P2461.pdf

They also sell tabbed batteries and extended capacity industrial cells.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    These did not have tabs. I soldered them with little bars just like I would solder together pacs for rc cars and planes etc. To get them in the appropriate pentagon I hot-glued 2 at a time together, then those 4 were fit around a 1/4" dowel. Then the last one was glued to the other 4 after removing the dowel, squeezing the 4 together slightly to make a perfect pentagon.

I also just rebuilt a little Excel PX30. Basically it is a little cardboard tube with a modern 3v lithium battery at one end. I just took it apart an replaced the 3v lithium battery then taped it back together.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    UPDATE: The batteries I got from ZBATTERY did not last very long. So I am going to re-do this again with some Sanyo AAA Nicads. It will be $35 for the ten batteries and I ordered them today. I should have used the Sanyos in the first place.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    UPDATE:
    I got a new set of Sanyo AAA and put them in the cardboard shell from the original Excell battery. They work great.

I then noticed that the inexpensive NiMH batteries still had some voltage on them and I there was a cold solder joint on one of them. Could these batteries be salvaged?

I noticed that two 35mm plastic film canister holders are the exact correct dimensions of the original battery. The two groups of 5 radially oriented batteries fit perfectly in the film canister. I just cut a slit on each end and had the metal strip come out each end and put some insulation between the two 5-battery assemblies and then taped the two canisters together so the closed ends were on the top and bottom. I put red tape on the POSITIVE terminal end. It turns out that after some coaxing with repeated charge-discharge cycles I was able to recover the NiMH cells and get them to hold a full charge again. That is good because they were less than a year old. I'll just have to remember to never leave the flash in the 'on' position to avoid the complete battery drain that inadvertently happened.
    I actually have two E35RE flashes, so now I have a good working battery for each one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Soldering to the ends of batteries is, in general, a bad idea: the contacts are usually nickle plated which can't be soldered reliably with standard electronic solder; the thermal mass of the battery makes it hard to get the contacts hot enough for a reliable joint; the heat can damage the battery internals. Soldering to a lithium battery is a very bad idea.

Tabbed batteries have thin solderable metal strips spot welded to the battery contacts and are meant for making battery packs. There is usually a small charge for the cost of welding the tabs. Most battery vendors - see above for Digikey - will make up battery assemblies by welding the strips between the battery terminals, often at no charge above the price of tabbed cells. I haven't had Digikey make up a geometrically complex pack - like a pentagon - but emailing them a sketch or photograph might get results.

I've had very good luck with Panasonic's heavy duty NiCads and NiMHs.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin