Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,897   Posts: 1,584,337   Online: 830

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the test.

My head hurts less now .

It was/is a great idea - very fascinating.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Steve:

For those photo-finish cameras, isn't it critical that the speed of the film be close to the speed of the horses? And isn't it the case that stationary objects are rendered as blurs?
    Yes but if you keep the film still and move the lens instead then the opposite may be the result.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are many problems with the idea, but here is just one of them. Take a picture of an object at a distance that would likely be used for panoramic shots. Then, move the distance of a length of film (about four feet) to the right or left and take another picture, with the lens parallel to where it was for the first shot. Compare the two shots, noting how extremely similar they are in the objects that are pictured within the frame. In other words, this will not widen your angle of view any noticeable amount unless you are quite close to your subject. To make a moving-lens camera work to significantly widen the angle of view, you must curve the film plane and have the movement of the lens follow its path.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    2F/2F, you're quite right and I guess saying "the ultimate panoramic" was a bit misleading on my part. All the subjects I'm imagining are as close as 5 feet or so.

As for curving the film plane; the ultimate version of this theoretical camera would/should have that ability. Y'know, the top o the line version!

What other problems do you see?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin