Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,938   Posts: 1,557,355   Online: 1206

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Chris is a great guy and the sunburn prints are stunning in person. Some of the most unique and original work being done in photography today, IMO. A bit more than just burning holes in paper...
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Reading the interview inspired me to give his "sunburn" process a try, and I concluded it's not as easy as it looks! (3 hours at f/16; the printed-out image looked good under the safelight, but I wanted to see what would happen in the developer, and I got solid black except for the light track of the sun. I assume the exposure wasn't enough to solarise the rest of the image.)

I like the "sad robot" camera, even if the lens isn't that spectacular technically. It doesn't seem like the limits of lens resolution are the big thing to worry about in this body of work anyway.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    Reading the interview inspired me to give his "sunburn" process a try, and I concluded it's not as easy as it looks! (3 hours at f/16; the printed-out image looked good under the safelight, but I wanted to see what would happen in the developer, and I got solid black except for the light track of the sun. I assume the exposure wasn't enough to solarise the rest of the image.)

I like the "sad robot" camera, even if the lens isn't that spectacular technically. It doesn't seem like the limits of lens resolution are the big thing to worry about in this body of work anyway.

-NT
    jnanian (John) does something similar with long exposures on photo paper minus the sunburn, but in other threads he's said it's a developer-less process that can't be fixed (the images fades away in fixer), so the image goes away over time.

The interview is a bit vague on the details, but it does mention McCaw uses vintage photo paper - maybe that's the secret to fixing it permanently (which I'm assuming McCaw does - it really doesn't say one way or the other).
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Chris uses vintage paper because he can't get the same result on modern papers - or hasn't been able to yet. AFAIK the images are permanent, but I don't know how he processes them.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerik View Post
    Chris uses vintage paper because he can't get the same result on modern papers - or hasn't been able to yet. AFAIK the images are permanent, but I don't know how he processes them.
    He does say that he "discovered" the process on film that he (seems to suggest he) processed normally, though, so I'm assuming it's something that survives the developer. And of course in principle solarisation can do that---Ansel Adams's "Black Sun" image is an example---but it's not clear why that would be different for modern and "vintage" papers...

Interesting stuff in any case, and good motivation for playing around with strange processes.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've got a Kodak Aerostigmat 24" F6 sitting on a shelf waiting for me to build a camera around it. Looks like about a 22" Image circle wide open at infintity, but it's difficult to tell without acutally building a camera. This gives me a little motivation to revive that dead horse of a project. (need to find/manufacture a shutter and waterhouse stops, ina ddition to the rest of the camera)

I'd be shooting film, though.

Anyone know what kind of lens covers 30x40? Has to be some kind of process lens, eh?

if any one wants to make an offer for a similar one on the evil auction site:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=270651756352
    Methinks he's alittle too proud of it, though, considering I got mine for a little less that 1/50th of what he's asking.
    Last edited by totalamateur; 10-26-2010 at 01:02 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: to add link

Shooter
    Multi Format
    30x40? Inches or cm?

If inches, needs a 50" circle. The 2500/12.5 Apo-Saphir will cover, also the 1800/16 Apo Ronar. The 2500 A-S is not a myth, I have an Apo-Saphir brochure that has a picture of, IIRC, 14 of them, all destined for the French atomic energy commission. Practically speaking it is a myth.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    And of course in principle solarisation can do that---Ansel Adams's "Black Sun" image is an example---but it's not clear why that would be different for modern and "vintage" papers...
    Basically modern emulsions are less susceptible to solarisation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin