Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,638   Online: 717

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Annoying Problem with AE-1P

Hey all,

So this problem began happening when I attached the power winder A to my Canon AE-1 Program. What would happen is basically it would start shooting/winding uncontrollably. So, I took it off. However, it would then fire the shutter everytime I advanced the film. Naturally, I'd then have to advance it again but it would fire. Eventually it would right itself and stop doing that. But in the interim I wasted a lot of film.

Now, I thought the problem had fixed itself, but I loaded up a roll yesterday and w/o the winder, the same advance/fire/advance/fire thing would happen and didnt' stop until I got to about 14 exposures.

So, if anyone has any suggestions I'd really appreciate it. It's a real PITA, but hey, at least I can justify the purchase of a F1n now...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The switch is electrical or was that the AE1? If it's gotten a bump it could be shorting.
    If you set a slow shutter speed will it deliver the set speed?
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi

sorry as this is pushing my memory a bit, as it's been over 15 years since I had to repair one at Canon, but it sounds like the relay in the powerwinder is sticking.

I would pull the winder apart, remove the relay and clean all the contacts - hopefully that will fix the problem

If not I'd look for a powerwinder A2 as a replacement - they were solid state and you never really had any problems with them

Cheers

Andrew
    A camera is only a black box with a hole in it....

my blog...some film, some digital http://andrewk1965.wordpress.com/

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Andrew,

Holmburgers stated that the camera-body is doing an exposure on itself after he has advanced the film manually, with the winder being taken off.
    However that problem started after he fitted the winder to the camera, which resulted in an automatic continuous exposing/winding action.

A malfunction of the winder would not effect the camera after being taken off, to my understanding.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OK - I mis read the post

The problem is then with the release magnet - the large one near the motor contacts under te bottom cover. The magnet face is probably dirty and is slipping when ti is wound on - thisis a pretty common problem with A series cameras.

Easiest way to clean the magnet face is to cut the plastic cover open and clean the magnet face (both prings that are sticking out of the magnet) and the release lever - the metal bloack that makes contact with both prongs....this should fix the fault...

If it desn't let me know - there are a couple of other things you can try..

And if you are looking at a F1 buy a NF1 (the one that has the 6 volt battery under the battery cover on the front of the camera) rather than a F1n (mechanical Old F1 - new type)...when I was repairing cameras at Canon they were getting a bit old even then......

Cheers
    A camera is only a black box with a hole in it....

my blog...some film, some digital http://andrewk1965.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks guys,

Yes, I do mean the NF1 actually. I've got an EF which scratches my itch for the older body style, and I think the new one is more practical with the EF in backup.

Ok, you say cut the plastic cover open... but that doesn't sound like a "sustainable" exercise. Is it going to destroy the casing? I'd prefer not to break anything in the process. If you could elaborate a bit on the repair, I think I'll give it a whirl.

Cheers!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Chris ,

Forget toyota and use your rollie 35 mercedes.

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Haha,

You can't drive your Mercedes daily though, can you? What about gas mileage, and maintenance costs?! Not to mention the insurance...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

You would had to think it before buying !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well I got the Rollei for $10 (garage sale!) and the AE-1P for free (uncle). Therefore, the Rollei was infinitely more expensive than my AE-1P and must be treated as such. Right?!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin