Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,495   Posts: 1,543,022   Online: 797

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Anyone here futzing with Pentax bodies?

I'd trying to find out if the K1000 was a simplified version of a previous body framework line or a complete departure. Specifically, if parts might be common with other models and the K1000. I ask as I've picked up a couple of parts bodies to futz with, basically to repair an existing body, and am trying to get a sense of it's lineage, outside of being (I think) the last metal body.(?)
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There were several entire series of metal bodies after the K1000.

The K1000 has a slightly odd prominence in on-line discussions, but the M-series, P-series and A-series bodies are all metal, too. However, they aren't all fully mechanical, some need batteries to operate. The later bodies tend to be smaller, but they have very good viewfinders and can take advantage of the features of the KA mount.

http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/bodies/index.html

is a very good resource. I have no idea how many of the post-K-series bodies have parts that can be shared with earlier K-series bodies, though.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The KM is like a K1000 with an added depth of field preview. I don't know which came first though. As it doesn't have the cult status of the K1000 it can be bought for a lower price.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You might be surprised to see slight differences in the mechs due to design changes over the years.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Focus No. 9 View Post
    You might be surprised to see slight differences in the mechs due to design changes over the years.
    Yea I think that would be expected. I'm wondering tho about frame changes and if there was a linage that used the same frame as the K1000 but built a different model camera. Sort of like the J frame for GM cars. Lots of different models used that frame. Graflex corp did the same thing. Used a standard body but built different cameras.

Btw, the link above may article my interests. Just have to search it all.
    Last edited by waynecrider; 10-31-2010 at 05:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    35mm
    Look at a Spotmatic SP1000 next to a K1000. Looks like all the changed was the lens mount and deleted the stop-down lever.
    The camera is the most incidental element of photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    The KM is like a K1000 with an added depth of field preview. I don't know which came first though. As it doesn't have the cult status of the K1000 it can be bought for a lower price.

Steve.
    The KM came first; the K1000 was introduced as a "budget" model. The KM is a essentially a Spotmatic F converted to K-mount, with the necessary mechanical changes. Same with the original SMC Pentaxes being converted SMC Takumars.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The K1000, KM & KX are all supposed to be derivations of the Spotmatic line, while the K2 should be from the ES line. The KM, KX & K2 came first, then the K1000. I would expect the K1000 to share almost all parts with the KM and KX. Unfortunately I don't know whether any internal parts were changed when the K line was released, so I'm not sure how compatible Spotmatic parts will be with the K series.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I know that parts in the speed stack are the same from Spotmatics, I'm thinking part of the mirror cage & film advance may also be common.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ewins View Post
    while the K2 should be from the ES line..
    Though, of course, the ES line used a horizontal running fabric shutter whereas the K2/K2DMD used a vertical running metal shutter.

Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin