Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,770   Posts: 1,484,243   Online: 1092

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I have two walnut S&S holders one of which I'll use as a guide for building the back and GG holder. Have the wood for everything and we will tackle that on our next go around. Doing some finish work now on the front standard.
    Yes, can't wait to do some 14x17 carbon prints!

Jim

Gim

Jim, after seeing the excellent build on your camera at Joshua Tree, this will be beautiful. I admire your attitude.

Best,
    Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jim, have you snagged a bellow yet or do you plan to make one yourself? I'd love to hear about the cost of one if you are going to get one made, I think you know were I'm coming from with that question. Vaughn suggested getting a point and shoot for large format but I think I can make an 11x14 on the lighter side with limited movements and use a cart when necessary. One question about the film holders, are two the limit or do you plan to add more, I need to check on a couple of 11x14 holders. Having made a 4X5 Cherry back I see no problem with the back which is often regarded as "hard". Again, your build looks great right now.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thanks, everyone. I'm going to have Custom Bellows build the bellows for me. To much work for me to do. I know my limits. My specialty is in finish and in building to some degree. I have had the experience of building an 8x20 and 11x14 but even so there are always challenges when building cameras. I do not rush things and for this one I decided to get some help and use Matts Shopsmith. Building the back is next on the list. I'm using my 11x14 Deardorff back as a guide. Hand polishing the front base right now and it looks sweet!

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It looks like that camera will be a beauty, but I keep wondering how long it will take you to get the urge for a 20 x 24. Thanks for the progress photos, I really enjoy seeing the fruits of your labor.
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I have been asked that question many times. If they made x-ray film in 20x24 then I would consider building one. At over 600.00 a box I'm not interested in 20x24 unless I win the lottery! I can get x-ray film in 14x17 that will work just fine for my carbon transfer work.

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nice looking camera Jim!

I have a question about the x-ray film. Do you strip off the emulsion from the back of the film? Or, doesn't it matter?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I don't mess with stripping off the back of the x-ray film. I print carbon transfer and the x-ray negatives that I develop in Pyrocat-HD for 7 minutes give me a great density range and some very nice prints so I see no need for the extra work. BTW, I got a lot of the rough sanding and some of the finish sanding done and now it is time to wet sand and polish several parts.

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jim, what about the hardware, jewelry for that beautiful work of art? Is the HD 1:1:100? I've got my 8x10 x-ray film to give a go on and a new HD set. When the domestic work is done I'm firing up the pellet stove and getting on to the 11x14, I was feeling burned out physically after the three week auto tour of the Southwest, now I feel ready to begin again. It was really nice to see some of the people from former workshops and of course Per, I love to take with him, not enough time in one lifetime is there. Anyway, you are going to have a fantastic camera that is a work of art in itself.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Curt, thanks. I have some antique nobs that I found and the rest of the brass I'll cut myself. I've got most of it together but like my other cameras you keep going to the hardware store over and over.
    I use the 1:1:100 Pyrocat-HD for my x-ray film and like I said it gives me what I need for my carbon printing. I use it for my tissue support also. I know the feeling about being burnt out. I still have negatives from my trip to the Redwoods and Zion to develop. I need to get those done as I have workshops to teach the next two weekends. I can't wait to finish this camera. It will be big but beautiful and the best way to do these projects is to take your time and do it right.

Jim

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin