Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,478   Posts: 1,571,110   Online: 1154

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Dozer View Post
    Jim,

I seem to remember after the 11 x 14 you said that was it. We'll wait and see if you go any farther!

Thanksgiving weekend works for me - I'll come over one day and bring some beer and some of my latest and greatest for you both to enjoy/critique.

Dan
    Dan, that would be awesome. Can't wait to see the new work. I'll be sure to bring some of my new carbons for you to see and maybe some surprises also????

I know I did say that after the 11x14 "no more!" but with 14x17 x-ray film being only .80-.90 a sheet what can I do. Sure beats $325.00+ a box of 25 sheets for the regular stuff. Now I just have to save for more holders. Two is not going to be enough. Now I just have to figure how I'm going to carry this beast??

Jim

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I took some funky pictures with my cheezy cell phone camera. Don't own a digital camera so this is the best I could do. some shots of the front standard, back box and the front swing nob.

Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 14x17 back box.jpg   14x17 front standard.jpg   14x17 front swing nob.jpg  

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Jim,

Why don't you describe what your finish process is for the camera. I see some Watco stain, what color is it? What else are you putting on the wood?
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jim,

How do you process such a large x-ray negative? I believe you said tanks, but where do you find a film hanger that large?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Okay, as far as the finishing goes I use the Watco walnut oil and sand with diamond hand pads to 1500 grit. Progressively from 220 up. After 400 grit I am polishing the wood with oil. After that I just use wax, a couple of coats is all that is needed.

X-ray film that big will be done one at a time in a flat bottomed tray. I still have to make the hangers for the 11x14. Just haven't gotten around to it yet. You can get great neg's doing it this way. With my 8x10 I'm able to do four at a time in one gallon tanks. ULF is a different story.

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    X-ray film that big will be done one at a time in a flat bottomed tray. I still have to make the hangers for the 11x14. Just haven't gotten around to it yet. You can get great neg's doing it this way. With my 8x10 I'm able to do four at a time in one gallon tanks. ULF is a different story.

Jim
    Thanks for the information Jim!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Jon, no problem. The nice thing about x-ray film is it develops fast and after about 4 minutes in the developer I turn the red safe light on and develop to the density I need for carbon printing.

Jim

jon.oman, I plan on doing the ziplock bag method with 14x17 xray in a flat bottomed tray. Works very well for 8x10, with very little solution required. I tested a heavy duty black plastic garbage bag and that also worked very well.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Ziplock bag method Andrew?
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

I sourced a place locally that carries rather large ziplock bags. I'll have to check to see if they have bags big enough for 14x17, but I'm sure that they do. Developing with a ziplock bag is easy. Just place the bag in a tray, slip the film in, pour in developer, seal the bag up with just the slightest opening, then puff in some air from your mouth to keep the top of the bag from settling on the film, seal the bag all the way, agitate as desired, and Bob's yer uncle. After development, just pick up bag by corners and pour out developer, pour in stop, dump, pour in fix. I use a hardening fixer.
    If you cannot find large ziplock bags, a heavy duty black plastic garbage bag works well. I like the ziplock bags, as you can see through them. Kind of nice being able to develop xray film (green latitude type) under a safe light rather than the dark.
    There is a good thread concerning xray film here: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...=48099&page=31

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin