Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,911   Online: 1047

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jim latitude film is available in 14X17 for chest X Rays that require more detail; it has a longer scale. I know the difference it makes when a chest X Ray is made on "regular" 14X17 and one on "chest film" in 14X17. If that difference is translated to photography then it will be apparent and an extra plus.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Curt, awesome to know and thanks for the information.

Jim

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Time for a bit of an update. I'm going to start working on the back GG assembly. I still need the bellows from Custom Bellows but the rest is done. So far it weights 17lbs. This is without the back. I'm thinking it should come in at 20-22 lbs. As it stands now 30" without the extension. Front has geared rise and fall, tilt and swing. Back has geared tilt, swing and shift.

Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails the 14x17 without bellows.jpg   rear standard 14x17.jpg   front standard 14x17.jpg   back of front standard 14x17.jpg   Shift nob 14x17.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Beautiful work Jim, is it a version of a "tailboard" design? It's been inspiring watching your build.

I found later that you already knew about latitude film from readings.
    Does it take long to get a bellows made?

Best
    Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Curt, It is based on a Folmer & Schwing 11x14 that my friend Tri Tran has. I loved the look of the camera so I thought why not. The front standard does not move front to back. The back comes all the way up and the rail folds up.

The bellows is coming from Custom Bellows in England and should get here soon.

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That sounds like a neat design, I would suppose rails could be added to the rear for the extension, that would avoid the entire front rack and pinion and the problem of eventual wear and slop that occurs, plus it simplifies the cost and design some too. Do you think it is a good design for an 11x14 these days? Are you going to make several extension rails for different focal ranges, that way you won't have a rail poking you in the chest when it's not necessary. It sounds like you have geared movements on all of the camera movements, was that for ease of use?

Curt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I want a camera big enough to hide inside of too
    ~ Michelle

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Curt without any extension rail the camera is 30" from front to back. If I do anything close up I have a 375mm lens and that still keeps me at 28". I can add a rail if I want to to the back but I don't think I will need to. Yes it would make a great 11x14. I copied my design from an 11x14! My longest lens is a 24" so I'm good there. The geared movements were not that hard to do. After two previous camera builds it does get easier.

Yes, I can clime inside this one!

Jim

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    Yes, I can clime inside this one!Jim
    I hope you specified water proof bellows fabric so the camera can do double duty as a bivouac shelter.

Roger

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Roger, I have water proof dark cloth material that is very lightweight to use with this one. In fact I have this material for all of my cameras. I just hope the bellows is done soon.

Jim

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin