Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,761   Posts: 1,516,112   Online: 838

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

My Walnut 14x17 is under construction!

Well, I finally got some images of the build of the 14x17. My friend and partner in crime on this project, Matt Blais was nice enough to take some pic's of the work in progress. Over all it will have 48" of usable bellows and I'm hoping to come in around 20lbs. or so? Yes the is yours truly inside! You can tell we are having fun! This is my third camera build and I learned that you need to have fun with these things.

Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 14x17_MPB6710.jpg   14x17_MPB6714.jpg   _MPB6712.jpg   14x17_MPB6708.jpg   14x17_MPB6717.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looking good my friend.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I cringe to think of the film cost.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I Cringe To Think Of The Cost Of A Digital Back, for that BadBoy !

I'm Just Saying ...

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Sanjay Sen - APUG Subscriber
    Sanjay Sen, 36, a champion of human and animal rights, died June 3 in a motorcycle accident in Wayne, New Jersey.

July 23 1975 - June 3 2012

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looks great! Love your APUG shirt.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Shopsmith Jim? I thought you made these sitting on the floor with your legs crossed and using Japanese chisels and handsaws.

Is the design the same as your 11X14 camera? After seeing these pictures I'm getting infected again with the urge to make that 11X14. Have you decided on any r&p for focus and or movements yet? I must admit that the Walnut looks great, when finished it is going to be beautiful looking. Nice work Jim,

Curt
    Last edited by Curt; 11-01-2010 at 01:11 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: so much for spell checkers, grammer checkers would make more sense.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    The design of this camera is a cross between a Korona and Flomer & Schwing. The extension without the rail is 28". I have not cut the slots for the rack & pinion yet. Doing some finish work on the front base as we speak. I decided to have Matt help me with the design and construction and he has a great Shopsmith that we are using. I wanted the joints perfect on this camera as it is HUGE! I have 9x9 lens boards for it. I'm going to take it out in the field to shoot with and use it in the studio. As far as film goes..... I have been shooting x-ray film for some time now and now how to use it to get the results I want. $90.00 for a box of 100 sheets! Do the math, it is a no brainier as to film.

Jim

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Nice looking camera Jim.

I wouldn't blame the shopsmith for good joints. I think that's a little like saying the camera makes the image. You guys need to give yourself a little credit.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks nice! What will you be using for a 14x17 back? Gonna get a 14x17 film holder and build something to suit? I'm interested in the xray film shooting hobby as well. I'm thinking about building some sort of extensionbox/conversion back for my 8x10 wooden studio camera after I get it's restoration done.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Awesome! Carbon prints will look fantastic on this.

Best of luck Jim.
    “I drank what?” - Socrates

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin