Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,817   Posts: 1,581,639   Online: 783

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Let me know if you're going anywhere interesting. We should organize some west-of-Toronto photo walks/meets at some point. Doesn't have to be purely Canon FD based but that would be fun ;-)
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    There's probably a few around including myself that would like to have that lens as is.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bill View Post
    I'm going to try out this lens on Friday with my F-1n with some Legacy Pro 400 and see what I get. The lens I have is the early chrome nose FD version.
    I'd be very interested to find out what you think of it too Uncle Bill, I hope you will post something about it when you get some results.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    as long as the lens doesn't need parts then cleaning one of these lenses is easy...I normally charge around $60-70 AUS to do one...

The old SSC lenses are quite sharp - although I wouldn't call them L lenses. Canon did have "Flourite" lenses - these had a green band around the hood (if there was a built in hood) - and were marked flourite on th ename ring. Flourite lenses ar enot common - there was a 24mm which I've never seen, a 55/1.2 which they made around 350 off, plus the 300/2.8 flourite. These are all old FD mount.

There was also a 300mm (F5.6 I think) plus another longer lens which was also a Floutire made in FL mount...

The OFD 35/2 was a nice lens - but the NFD 35/2 was sharper - at least it was when I tested them side by side...

But not by much :-)

Have fun
    A camera is only a black box with a hole in it....

my blog...some film, some digital http://andrewk1965.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 24mm and 55mm were not flourite lenses with a green ring, there were aspherical versions with a red ring, the original reason for red and green rings. The EF mount kind of perverted things where L means it has aspherical or flourite or ED glass while green means the unpopular diffractive optics lenses; I wouldn't be surprised to see green rings repurposed by Canon soon as DO has been a flop, with odd bokeh reminiscent of mirror lenses and high expense.

Interesting that the new FD 35/2 was sharper. I've never touched one but they're cheap enough to try on a lark these days. Probably some sample variation as well.

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post
    as long as the lens doesn't need parts then cleaning one of these lenses is easy...I normally charge around $60-70 AUS to do one...

The old SSC lenses are quite sharp - although I wouldn't call them L lenses. Canon did have "Flourite" lenses - these had a green band around the hood (if there was a built in hood) - and were marked flourite on th ename ring. Flourite lenses ar enot common - there was a 24mm which I've never seen, a 55/1.2 which they made around 350 off, plus the 300/2.8 flourite. These are all old FD mount.

There was also a 300mm (F5.6 I think) plus another longer lens which was also a Floutire made in FL mount...

The OFD 35/2 was a nice lens - but the NFD 35/2 was sharper - at least it was when I tested them side by side...

But not by much :-)

Have fun
    I've tested the Thorium lens against the new type FD f2 and find the reverse but the difference to be too small to be significant for practical purposes, I've also tested the FDn 35mm f2.8 which is also a very fine performer.
    Ben

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There were 3 FD lenses of the type 35/2.5:

no marking (possibly with chromed front bayonet), concave front lens, 1971

SSC marked, black front bayonet, concave front lens, 1973

SSC marked, black front bayonet, re-designed optics, convex front lens, 1976

New FD-bayonet, black front bayonet, re-designed optics, convex front lens, 1979

So, I guess you all are talking about the first two ones concerning that radioactive issue.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    There were 3 FD lenses of the type 35/2.5:

no marking (possibly with chromed front bayonet), concave front lens, 1971

SSC marked, black front bayonet, concave front lens, 1973

SSC marked, black front bayonet, re-designed optics, convex front lens, 1976

New FD-bayonet, black front bayonet, re-designed optics, convex front lens, 1979

So, I guess you all are talking about the first two ones concerning that radioactive issue.
    Yes that's right, except these lenses were f2 not 2.5
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=hpulley;1102926]The 24mm and 55mm were not flourite lenses with a green ring, there were aspherical versions with a red ring, the original reason for red and green rings. QUOTE]

Sorry - it's been 20 years since I was a camera technician at Canon. Even then the Old FD mount (Chrome ring) lenses were considered obsolete - that is - you couldn't order spare parts for them...I still remember the 300/2.8 I couldn't repair for a lack of parts

I think I saw 1 of the 24mm lenses, and maybe 2 or 3 of the 55mm lenses..plus a single f1.2/85mm OFD ASP lens. These were very uncommon in Australia - I'm guessing the high price had something to do with it?

Then again - I've seen well over a dozen f0.95/50mm rangefinder lenses.....
    A camera is only a black box with a hole in it....

my blog...some film, some digital http://andrewk1965.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They are still expensive! Surprisingly for all the film discontinuations, even body prices are sky high! I'd like to pick up an F1 but they are still going for hundreds of dollars. The lens price bounce I thought I understood due to the 3/4 digital cameras having lens adapters for everything under the sun but it seems even used on FD bodies the following is going up. The old aspherical lenses and flourite still go for lots of cash, even broken ones! Drab olive F1, forget about it!

I wanted to get a Pellix with the 38mm f/2.8 pancake but again that seems to go for $400. Just crazy prices.

Canon only seems to support lenses for about 5 years after they're superceded. It is much worse with EF, once the supply of AF motors and now IS motors is gone, the lenses are bricks as some don't have a manual focus backup and some of the IS controllers when they die actually make the image bounce around making the lens completely useless if they no longer honor the off switch either. But you can buy the new model of course... I still like Canon but they do know how to make a buck it seems, good for them I guess!

Happiness is...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin