Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,957   Posts: 1,586,064   Online: 904

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think the word is getting round what exceptional optics these Thorium rare earth glass element lenses are, and consequently for lenses that are nearly forty years old even though the FD mount has been long orphaned by Canon seem to be increasing in price, which to my mind goes to prove that the latest all singing all dancing lenses aren't necessary the best because they've known how to make great lenses for a long time.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The current Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 optics are EXACTLY the same as the 1967 Canon 50mm FL f/1.4 II, no change in FD mount and no change in EF mount. 42 years and counting, good optics stand the test of time. Computerized designs have helped to improve zoom lenses tremendously but for good prime lenses I think the designers in the last century knew what they were doing.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The difference is that with modern computers physicists can with Computer Aided Design can do what used to take years of painstaking calculations in an afternoon.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    The difference is that with modern computers physicists can with Computer Aided Design can do what used to take years of painstaking calculations in an afternoon.
    True though it seems like new zoom lenses and really light, astronomically expensive telephoto lenses are all that come out of those drawings now.

Happiness is...

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    The current Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 optics are EXACTLY the same as the 1967 Canon 50mm FL f/1.4 II, no change in FD mount and no change in EF mount. 42 years and counting, good optics stand the test of time. Computerized designs have helped to improve zoom lenses tremendously but for good prime lenses I think the designers in the last century knew what they were doing.

With introduction of the FD true-bayonet lenses a 50mm/1.4 with new optics was released in 1979.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    With introduction of the FD true-bayonet lenses a 50mm/1.4 with new optics was released in 1979.
    IANAP but the optical designs look the same to me. Perhaps improved.

Happiness is...

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, all those high-speed standard lenses are double-Gauss derivates.

That New-FD one is even lighter and smaller than its predesssors (which were only redesigned on their barrel) and has a smaller min. aperture.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks more like coating, barrel and aperture redesign than the optics to me but you could be right. Guess I'll have to stop spreading rumors... nah, they're fun.

Happiness is...

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Canon themselves at introducing the true-bayonet range stated that there were not only mechanical changes but also an optical improvement with that lens, what they did not say about lenses that were just given the new barrel.
    Furthermore, it became about 20% shorter, which to my understanding could only be achieved by redesigning the optics. What of course does not necessarily mean an improvement.
    But, we are drifting off the original topic now.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Canon is producing its glass at its home and using borax glass. Borax glass was the Otto Schott invention and more than 100 years old. It is not for optics but high heat industrial thermometers .
    Cheap , light weight and cheap again.
    I made a mistake and bought a Canon EOS 1000 with 35 80 zoom and I sold it to garbage price. This was the only japanese camera I have ever had and big mistake.
    I only liked few japanese brands , yashica which zeiss helps , minolta which leica helps , contax uses zeiss lenses , sony uses zeiss lenses , panasonic uses leitz lenses and korean samsung uses schneider lenses. But I am using Rollei 35s with a Sonnar and I am trying to decipher this lens.

Umut

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin