Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,287   Posts: 1,535,314   Online: 887

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Well, the box finally arrived! But, my wife's off work today, so I've had (will have) minimal play time. But I got it out of the box. The seller didn't know how to fold it, so it was extended. It's so stinkin' petite! Cute little thing. Gonna need a lot of TLC, though. Nothing looks damaged, though. There are some obvious things - gluing joints, replacing screws. The sliding lensboard lock is on upside down, and locks the standard down when folded, which is why (I'm guessing) the seller didn't fold it. But the camera is clean, and looks sturdy enough, and like it'll be a good user. The locks for the back are easy to move. The back comes off cleanly, and the design is reversible. There's no name on it anywhere, but the knobs for the rise and fall lock are indicative of the Japanese Asanuma.

So far, this was definitely worth the wait! I keep sneaking out to the garage to fondle the thing...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Okay, wife's picking up the kids. Briefly, here's what I gots:

Asanuma Half Plate Project Cam... by Scott --, on Flickr

Wood's mahogany, nickled brass hardware, except the braces in the base, which are lacquered brass. Front rise/fall and tilt, rear tilt and swings. Apeloads of rise/fall on the front. The bellows are shot, but I think radiophoto's up for making a 4x5 Bel-Jac to get me through until it's time for a replacement bellows (hint hint). Needs lensboards, some kind of tripod mount (the spider's here, but not shown), and a new back for 4x5. Maybe a 5x7 one, too. Gluing loose joints as well. Might use the walnut I'd picked out for this; might use some of my dwindling stock of mahogany, too...

There ya go. A project is born!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Updated the blog on this project. And, curiously, the bellows are glued to the standards, not to any kind of frame. They need to come out to work on the camera; I need to decide how I go about this...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    In cleaning up the rear standard, I found some interesting little lines...

Scribe marks... by Scott --, on Flickr

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The plate back is back in one piece again.

IMG_1160 by Scott --, on Flickr

Next step - fabricating a 4x5 insert!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    A couple shots of where the camera is now:

Progress to date... by Scott --, on Flickr

Everything's been reassembled. The metalwork didn't come out as nicely as I'd hoped, but will be completely serviceable. The woodwork turned out pretty nicely. And it's time to start in on the 4x5 insert. Still need to decide if I'm scrapping the spider to fill in the hole, or if I'm building a base plate to maintain the integrity of the original camera. Dunno. Want to keep weight down, but want to maintain operability and aesthetics. Hmm...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    This really has nothing to do with anything, but I had a PM exchange with a guy on Flickr about workbenches. I added to the blog about mine. Read if you're inclined.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Scott, you put me to shame.

I'm restoring my Houghton's "Duchess" in parallel but I've not shot the stages

Your camera is based on a Houghton design from what I can make out. There's a thread about your camera and a virtually identical Indian field camera on the LFPI forum.

I do need a work bench though, but our apartments too small, and my wood working skills too meagre . . . . . . . and then I need some tools.

Great progress, these camera's are so light but rigid, I can't wait to start using mine and I guess it's the same for you

Ian.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin