Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,829   Posts: 1,582,250   Online: 1027

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by picker77 View Post
    To get initial rough focus, I was thinking of using drafting vellum taped to a sacrificial film holder (with all but 1/4" or so cut out of the film backing plate), and later doing trial and error tests with thin shims under the lens mount for fine tuning. Obviously I've never built anything like this before, it's just in the pencil stage right now. As for adding weight, I can't see how a GG back could be as light as a simple rear film holder slot (ie., no back at all), though. And of course I want to avoid focusing entirely, and just use a simple viewfinder on top of the body.

And thanks, I'll look over the Gowlands.

Why dont you make a removable GG in a frame instead of destroying a film holder. They are simple to make out of wood and the glass is as easy as spraying glass frosting that comes in an aerosol can. I have two of them that I made for a pair of homebuilt 4x5's. Measure the distance from the face of the film holder to the divider and make that the front surface of the glass, its close enough that the camera focus is on target, and dof will compensate for the miniscule error.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    I took apart a 35mm lens for the focusing helical and now it focuses down to 5 feet. It's much better than fixed focus.
    I did the same thing. See the 6x12 camera link below.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by heespharm View Post
    umm mr gowland passed away last year... rip
    My sincere apologies. I am afraid I was led astray by Mr. Gowland's own website (petergowland.com), which was updated April 13, 2010. I quote from that website:

"Because Peter keeps everything in his life as simple as possible, he made and continues to make all of his cameras with simplicity in mind."

No mention of his demise that I could find. Again, my apologies and thanks for the correction.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I did the same thing. See the 6x12 camera link below.

Steve.
    Wow, Steve. A sweet piece of work. Makes what I had in mind (simple box with shim-adjsuted fixed focus) seem stone age. Access to CNC is really a nice fringe benefit, too! Re focusing with the helical, will you fabricate and mark a scale focus indicator ring around the lens, or what?

Please post progress as you go along, this is very interesting stuff.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by picker77 View Post
    My sincere apologies. I am afraid I was led astray by Mr. Gowland's own website (petergowland.com), which was updated April 13, 2010. I quote from that website:

"Because Peter keeps everything in his life as simple as possible, he made and continues to make all of his cameras with simplicity in mind."

No mention of his demise that I could find. Again, my apologies and thanks for the correction.

Oh I'm not offended... Just FYI I think he died in June... I just bought his pocket view and was thinking of converting it to a 4x5 point and shoot by building a frame around the rear standard and a box out to the front standard...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by heespharm View Post
    Oh I'm not offended... Just FYI I think he died in June... I just bought his pocket view and was thinking of converting it to a 4x5 point and shoot by building a frame around the rear standard and a box out to the front standard...
    Gowlands are beautifully constructed cameras. It's sad to see craftsmen of Mr. Gowland's stature passing, don't know if we'll ever see their breed again. Seems like everywhere I look I see the end of another era.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin