Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,691   Posts: 1,548,930   Online: 821

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I had the same problem with the Rodenstock 127mm lens from a Poaroid 110A and never did find a way to get the front element out.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The Rodenstock is a PIA to get started, but once you break loose the front beauty ring the entire front cell screws right out. Same with the rear cell. If it is really stuck, I would suggest gently warming the outside of the housing with a hair dryer. Hold the lens securely with something like a padded vise or a lens board. I have placed mine in the jaws of a six-jaw lathe chuck covered with tape to protect the finish.

I find that having a very secure way to hold the outside of the lens is as important as finding the right rubber to turn it. A collection of different sized O rings is what I use. Viton material, wash it with detergent to give it more traction and clean any oils that might make it slip.

Shooter
    Instant Films

Tominon 114mm f/4.5 opened

Hi, I don't know if anybody will still read this, but I had a problem with my Land Camera 180 myself, one of the aperture blades was stuck right in the middle. Probably from the WD40 I got in it when I tried to make the gears work again... bad mistake but it is working again now.
    Anyway, I was looking for instructions on how to open the front of the lens to get to the aperture and stumbled over this thread. It turns out John Koehrer was almost right. You need to unscrew the decorations ring. It does not come off but it actually IS the barrel containing the two front elements. I could turn mine just bei pushing to the outside with my two fingers and turning it. It takes quite a few spins.
    Theoretically you could then also remove the rear of the two front elements but it looks like there is some glue in the thread. Made me think they might be glued to stay in a certain position, so I didn't try, although there is some dust in between. Probably would have required some gentle violence since I don't have the right tools. I was quite happy I could put the aperture blade back in place (basically just pushing it out gently until it "clicked" back into place) and didn't want to take any more risk. Maybe I wil try some other time. Just removing the front elements is quite fast when you know how.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin