Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,518   Posts: 1,543,754   Online: 843

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

How to open Polaroid 180 - Tominon 114mm lens front or front elements for cleaning ?

I'm finding no solution or thread to this problem anywhere on the net..
    Can any one help or has the answer or tried cleaning this lens front or front elements ?
    Just picked up this old Polaroid 180 land camera from an old shop.
    Its in great working condition..but lens has lot of fungus within its first two front elements.I've tried everything from removing bellows and taking off back element.
    but seems no answer to taking off the front.
    Just want to know how you take off the front element
    Please help..

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'll take a look at mine when I get home later today...I've never tried to take the lens apart. If I forget, reply to this tonight or tomorrow so I am reminded when I see the thread again...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Hmmm. Good question, and the answer is...I have no idea! Sorry. I;d have to really mess around with it to figure it out and since mine doesnt need to come off I'm afraid you are on your own. It doesnt seem to come off easily....Good luck!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Typically the decorator ring unscrews and the elements drop out.
    The decorator ring is the one with the lens info on it. I use rubber stoppers of different sizes for different lenses. You press the edge of the stopper onto the ring & mutter obscenities under your breath until it loosens. Sometime a small drop of alcohol will help.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks John.
    Let me try this out with your suggested method...i will keep you informed if it worked..I hope it does..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi John...i tried everything but lens doesnt seem to move a bit..is there any other way..? if you have pictures of yours how you opened it woulkd really help..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi John...i tried everything but lens doesnt seem to move a bit..is there any other way..? if you have pictures of yours how you opened it woulkd really help..

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I could be wrong but I'm guessing from the generic nature of John's comments that he doesn't actually have one of these. They seem to be a bit different from most lenses. Looks like the element is actually threaded inside the barrel structure of the lens, almost like a tube inside a tube. I dont think taking the outer ring
    off will do it, and besides, that wont come off! I could try to force it but I wont since mine is fine.

Couldnt you get at the back of the front element when you took the rear element off? I have the same lens and I'm pretty sure there are only two elements, from shining a light in there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yup Wayne is correct, I don't have one at hand.
    Lenses that don't come apart from the front are few and far between. I'm not sure that I've ever seen one. I have seen lenses with groups burnished into the barrel, Those are a PITA.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Wayne..thanks for your suggestion..I think you are right..its a tube within a tube..and there is no way it can be pulled out.I wonder how they put it in.
    Since your lens is still clean you wouldn't notice the front two elements..
    my lens has most fungus between front and second element which are sandwitched and they look like one front element..
    even when i open back i can only reach back of second element..
    I'm surprised there is no info at all or pics for this on the net on this issue..I'm sure there are lots of people using POLAROID 180,195 formats again with new Impossible films.
    Thanks for your help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin