Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,827   Posts: 1,582,063   Online: 804

Shooter
    Instant Films

How to adjust the rangefinder of a Polaroid Land Camera 350?

Hi there,

after i modified my Land Camera for modern Batteries (2xAAA, no timer needed) i am in the mood of taking a look at the rangefinder as well - although he is just slightly out of focus and one can still focus properly.

The problem is - i do not know how to do it! Would be great, if you could help me.

Thank you!
    Tim

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The traditional way to make a small adjustment is to carefully bend the small metal tab where the struts meet the sliding portion of the rangefinder. With no film in the camera and a small piece of ground glass taped into an old film holder, mount the camera on a tripod, and move be bellows to the infinity setting. The object should be in sharp focus when checked with a magnifier. Now check the rangefinder. That should agree. If not, carefully, bend the small tab left or right so that it does agree.

You can then repeat the same experiment at a close distance, perhaps 10 feet. Carefully check the ground glass. Then the rangefinder. Perfection is impossible, as the rangefinder does not perfectly track focus, but it is very close and certainly good enough.

If you don't have a ground glass, use frosted tape on a small glass slide or other flat piece of glass taped into the film holder at the exact place where the film would be. You won't get the entire view, but enough to perform the adjustment. Place the tape on the lens side of the glass. An image will form on it.

Are you sure it is out of focus? Try a tripod and a subject at infinity and if the error is small you might live with it or gently tweak the tab. Notice that you can slide the rangefinder arm all the way to the left (looking at the camera from the front) and that is closest focus. It should spring back without sticking. Try doing that while looking through it and you will see which way to go. It should not be far off, and if it is, look for some other damage, distortion etc to the camera struts.

Get some Fuji FP100B for it and try that before it is all gone!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You sure the FP100B is gone? I just bought 10 packs and the expiry is 2011-11. Admittedly some of my FP3000B packs have expiry of 2012-01 but some of the FP-100C packs I got are expiry 2011-04 so I better get shootin'!
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    It's not all gone. That's why I recommend getting it while you can! Beautiful stuff, and we might never see it again.

Shooter
    Medium Format

adjusting zeiss finder on polaroids

Hi Tim,

If you are talking about the 250-350-450 series with the zeiss finder, and you need to adjust the horizontal and vertical of the rangefinder patch, then there are two screws you need to adjust. Taking the finder off the camera and taking the cover off the finder is not too difficult (if I remember correctly). The vertical screw is a tad trickier to adjust (it is sealed for a reason).

The screw for horizontal alignment:

and the vertical alignment:

hope this helps some.

matt

Shooter
    Instant Films
    matt S - thank you very very much! You solved my Problem!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks Matt! This also helped me.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi Matt,

For the Polaroid Land Camera 350, the lens focal ength is around 115 mm. If you change the lens out with a 75mm or a 165mm, the rangefinder focusing will not correspond on one end of the range finder.

Is there a way to modify the swing arm to compensate for a shorter or longer lens? Or is there a more intensive modification or fabrication needed? Based on your picture, a new cam swing arm would likely need to be made. Something for me to think about.

Kirk

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin