Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,556   Posts: 1,573,175   Online: 941

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

"Unglueing" a bellows from mounting frame?

I want to open up the front of a Busch Pressman 4x5 bellows just a little, so I can use a couple lenses I have on it. The bellows is glued to the metal mounting frame & I need to remove it. Any tips on what to use to do this? Solvent, or what??

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sharp razor knife or scalple, cut to the bone. The old glue will more than likely be brittle.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's likely fastened with hide glue or shellac. Heat is best with hide glue, if you happen to have a tacking iron that might be small enough to do what you need. Otherwise a travel clothes iron might work.
    If it's shellac, then denatured alcohol wil soften it. Alcohol may also work on the hide glue.
    Last edited by bdial; 03-28-2011 at 10:38 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Vinegar will break down either shellac or hide glue. I wont recommend it in your instance tho, might damage the bellows material as well. I think the safest bet is heat and a sharp instrument to lift the bellows away from the frame.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    On my way to try heat now - THANKS!

2:25pm - heat did the trick. It didn't take much & the bellows came loose easily.
    Last edited by Dave Starr; 03-29-2011 at 02:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hide glue is also water soluble unless it's been treated with formaldehyde.
    Tim Flynn

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin