Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,833   Online: 858

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, I haven't even left yet. I popped in the brand new battery after taking a voltage measurement of 6.894V. I pushed in the battery test button and it beeped nominally for a few seconds, and then started beeping slowly indicating a dying battery again!!!

So, I let it sit for another minute and then pulled the battery out and voltage tested it again - 6.3V! Yikes. There is DEFINITELY a short happening. The shutter and meter work as intended, aperture ring is functioning correctly when taking an exposure...

So now, it's time to locate what's wrong with it. At first I thought it could be that the battery sensor is messed in the camera, but the fact that I read a plummeting battery voltage from the multimeter is a sure sign that it's abnormally consuming battery power.

Any ideas of where I should start looking for shorts?

That repair manual would be greatly appreciated if anyone has it around in PDF or image form!!!

Thanks!

Shooter
    35mm
    Or you could just take the battery out when you aren't using it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul VanAudenhove View Post
    Or you could just take the battery out when you aren't using it.
    Yes! I am doing that for now

Unfortunately it was no more than 30 seconds it spent in there and the voltage plummeted .5V! That is insane. It will be dead by the end of the shoot tonight probably, even if I don't put it in the camera until I start shooting and take it out right after...

Shooter
    35mm
    That sounds like more of a problem than the camera just staying on! Did you check how much it draws again?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul VanAudenhove View Post
    That sounds like more of a problem than the camera just staying on! Did you check how much it draws again?
    Very weird. It doesn't seem like it's shorting: 27mA turned on with shutter metering, 1.2uA when turned on and doing nothing, 0.00uA when turned off.

But, after 2 minutes of testing my battery voltage is down to 6.03V...down another .3V from the last reading.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think the place to start then is to replace the battery with one not identical to the one in it. That is, different manufacturer, different type, etc. I remember I had a camera which took the 6V battery that did poorly with alkaline, but well with lithium. I used to have an AE-1 Program, so it might have been that one, but I don't remember. I never had any problems with a silver oxide battery in any camera.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are you sure you clean the battery compartment good? Maybe use a little rubbing alcohol.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Tried the different battery. This one was a different type than the first one

This must have been something that developed after originally pulling it out of storage, seeing as how it's draining so rapidly now. Come to think of it, it was fine for maybe a week of using pretty much daily for brief periods, then suddenly after first using the power winder and cleaning the mirror it started draining batteries.

I'm thinking that the mechanical interface from using the power winder for the first time in ages set something loose that is now shorting out. I think popping the bottom off and taking a look might be a good idea.

Yes, the battery compartment is spotless! I cleaned it with rubbing alcohol already to see if it would help.

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    How big is the current during battery check?
    edit: don't the batteries in Canada have an expiry date on them?
    Last edited by ath; 04-03-2011 at 07:50 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have you removed the winder to test the camera?
    Access to the main switch is through the top cover. The cover around the lens mount is removed first.The back light switch is under this too.
    If you do this set the Iso to 100 and shutter speed to B. This is only reference for reassembly so all the woodjies line up.Remove the RW knob & Iso dial. It's pretty straight forward.
    On the wind side of the camera, wind lever, washers(keep in order) misc stuff. 5(?) screws and cover will lift off but there's a wire soldered to the hot shoe.
    The Lock position is actually a mechanical block to keep the meter from inadvertently turned on
    'That should give you access to the entire top section of the main board and switches.
    On occasion the main switch stack will be defective, it's a stack of contacts and insulators near the front of the camera and the insulators become defective.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin