Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,546   Posts: 1,544,507   Online: 1171

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It kind of sort of looks like someone wet sanded it then used rubbing compound.... excessive removal around sharp corners (like Prism area) is obvious.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmmm... what kind of paint stripper are we talking about... in theory of course! ?
    Pretty much any paint stripper would probably work just fine, though I'm not going to test on any of my cameras.
    Contrary to what the seller claims, that camera almost certainly did not come that way from Asahi/Pentax.

IMHO, either he stripped it, and is attempting to mis-represent it, or he's clueless.

Reminds me of a feedback item I saw in a Pop. Photography years ago. They did an article about stripping the chrome off your camera and painting the previously shiny bits black. Some reader decided to shortcut the process and coat his camera with black Kodak opaque (not paint) without any disassembly, and was miffed that it didn't work afterward.
    Last edited by bdial; 04-14-2011 at 11:46 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Maybe it's just the sceptic in me, but I also don't think it was any sort of special edition (just purely based on the picture). A "brassed" special edition would probably look far cleaner than that, even taking into account if this camera had been used. It just looks a bit too homemade and lo-fi to my eyes...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What types of treatments can you do to brass? Like patinas, bluing?, or are those just unique to copper & steel respectively?

I agree, I seriously doubt this was a "special edition".

edit: yes, since brass has copper in it, it can get a patina. Now that would be cool...
    Last edited by holmburgers; 04-14-2011 at 12:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    For an idea of what can be done to metals, look at www.artchemicals.com (one of many sources serving the art world).

"Bluing" as associated with classic guns and antique clock parts is controlled oxidation at high temperature; contemporary bluing is a chemical treatment and does not work on stainless steels.

The original purposes of these treatments was to create a surface which was more durable than the base metal (the oxide holds oil better than bare metal, and helps prevent rust, and the patina on bronze doesn't streak or show fingerprints like the raw statue would) or just looked better (hence, Art Chemical and its brethren).

An actual brass camera would quickly look atrocious unless kept carefully lacquered, but a statuary-bronze one might be cool

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm thinking a green "Statue of Liberty" patina'd camera would look pretty awesome.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You should move to Northern California. Out here, anything "green" can be sold for a ridiculous premium...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Haha... that brings a couple things to mind actually.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You could do an "acid green" patina to brass - looks pretty cool - should be able to find solutions at art supply places.

The camera shown is definitely a black body stripped of paint - the claims of the seller are ridiculous. I think I'll spray paint my brownie cameras a variety of "Special Edition" colors and offer them at the same site for $200 each.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jurgen (Certo6) on his website has a small article on fully brassing old cameras. He uses chemicals. But he finishes them with polish so they shine like gold. Some of his fully brassed folders look great with coloured bellows.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin