Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,472   Online: 963

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

For those who love brassing on their cameras...

Ok, check out this eBay auction for a brass Pentax http://cgi.ebay.com/Pentax-Brass-Bod...-/200596165996

I'm quite fond of the brassing around the edges of my black cameras, so I'm wondering what it would take to achieve this look. Also, is it only black cameras or do chrome cameras have brass underneath? (a stupid question perhaps)

How do you think this is achieved? Just sanding, or is there a chemical treatment that could be done?

Anyways, I think it looks pretty cool...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pentax.JPG  
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    That looks like it was disassembled and dipped into some sort of paint remover. Note the lack of sanding marks.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    from the description its a special edition. Its most likely that they just didn't plate/annodize the metal parts of the body before construction. Or they made it just like always and just plated it differently period. I have no idea what the base metal would have originally been, though its a sure thing that they didn't make just the edges brass so we would tell if they had been handled well. lol.

You could create your own but you would have to completely strip it down and send it to a plating shop - like the guys that do chrome...lot of work.
    "There is no such thing as objective reality in a photograph"

My flickr and (gasp!) dpug photos - take a look if you like.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Perhaps the best thing to do is just use the hell out of it and get your own brassing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some of these older slrs are brass under the paint. I think my old Vivitar 250 was brass.

Example on web:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/kianany...n/photostream/

Shooter
    Large Format
    The covering plates of the Pentax Spotmatic and similar versions, like this H3V, were made of brass. Those versions with "black paint" can be easily taken to the brass with paint stripper. The "chrome" versions would need to have the layers of chrome removed, preferably by a chrome plating firm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sure does look neat!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by resummerfield View Post
    The covering plates of the Pentax Spotmatic and similar versions, like this H3V, were made of brass. Those versions with "black paint" can be easily taken to the brass with paint stripper. The "chrome" versions would need to have the layers of chrome removed, preferably by a chrome plating firm.
    Exactly right. Most older cameras' covers were made from brass sheet, because it can be easily formed into the shapes needed, and needs no underplate before chroming.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    The black paint on Pentaxes of that era had/has a habit of crazing, cracking and going manky easily enough without the aid of too much paint stripper!
    I once spoke to an ex-camera salesman who told me how he'd sold a new black bodied SLR (I forget the make) only to have the buyer return next day to ask for some instruction in using it. Funny thing was, overnight the purchaser had taken some fine abrasive to the edges and corners of the body to give it that well-worn look, even though it had never had a film through it.
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmmm... what kind of paint stripper are we talking about... in theory of course! ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin